MAC26X

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Mertens

I am interested in buying a 26x, HOWEVER,my idea of enjoyable boating is about 4 knots, relaxing and enjoying the scenery. What is the minimum hp motor required to put this hull on plane with 3 adults on board? At what speed will this hull achieve plane? These questions pertain to the storm escape feature which I believe is necessary.

P

Paul

Engine Size

The boat seams to plane around 10-11 mph. To make this happen, you are probably looking at 40 hp which many of the older models have. The drop down from there puts you at 25 hp and I'm fairly confident that you will not plane with that power.

K

Kevin Barry

Boat speed

Paul, In sailing the mac, you will probably get about 5-7 knots of speed on average if you work at it. So sailing at 4-5 knots is typical. When powering, there are a few more variables. You can achieve a plane at much lower power with the ballast tank empty. I have a 50 hp and can plane around 10 knots with the tank full and a full crew. If I empty the ballast with the same load, I can plane at around 8 knots. And if I lighten the load further, I'm sure it would plane a little quicker. Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.