Mac25 Trailer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Averell

On the trailer, our Mac25 seems extremely large for the single axle (original) trailer we got with the boat. We're planning to trailer from NY to Florida next summer, and wonder if anyone out there has seen the need to add shocks to the trailer, or made any other modifications to the stock trailer. Any hints on comfortable/safe trailering behind out '95 Jeep Cherokee will be appreciated. Thanks

B

Bob Trail

Mac trailer

I have trailered mine quite a bit and have had no difficulty except for too-light tongue weight which made it sensitive to swaying movements. I added a spare tire and cut&sleeved an extension and when trailering always put the motor in the front of the cabin. The boat is very light for its size at 2300lb; my Ericson 23 weighs 3200lb.You may want to see my mods at webshots.com search Macgregor Venture. Good lick

A

Art King

Quite right

I have trailed my 25 extensively (to Lake George in NY and Candlewood in CT and the CT river.) My problem early on was too light tongue weight causing excessive sway above 50 mph. I had the axel moved back a foot which completely solved the problem.

J

Jamie

New Shocks

I have a 26D and have found that the boat is fairly balanced. But one thing I did to my Jeep to really improve the ride characteristics is replace the shocks. I installed new Rancho RSX 17000's and they work beautifully. I have a 1996 cherokee and found that the rear end sagged when towing the boat (something you will probably find if you add more tongue weight to your trailer). With the new shocks this never occurs and when I am not towing the boat I still get a very smooth stock ride. Just thought I would fill you in. I have done a lot of other mods to my Jeep but that's because I am in college and I am going through that phase. ha ha who am I kidding I am sure I'll still be doing the same thing when I am 70. Good luck with the boat.

D

dan

Add Bumper Rails!

Hi John........ Well....after overshooting the trailer sideways in LIGHT winds you will notice the LACK of SAFE bumper rails over the fenders. My first mate REFUSES to endanger her life again unless I install bumper rails. Got them fabbed out of 1/4"x3" steel uprights and 18ga C channel rails with 2x4/bunk carpet bumpers. Am installing now and will have pics for view soon. The trailer handles the boat well. happy motoring........dan

Status
Not open for further replies.