Mac nav lights

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was just perusing my latest copy of Seaworthy from BoatUS. It occurs to me that my 26S isn't up to date on the nav light requirements. I have the Port, STBD and stern deck lights. All I have on the mast is the forward pointing masthead light. I don't have an all-round white light for anchoring. Needless to say I do not have a way to switch from anchoring to under power or sail configurations either. Looks like a project in the near future. I'd hate for this to happen to me!
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/magazine/2014/july/light-up-the-night.asp

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Technically you don't need it. If you anchor (only time you have 360 white) you can light your steaming light and your stern light. Together they are 360 degrees.

You can switch them off and run a lantern up the halyard too.

On mine, I added the anchor light and I have one deck connection that's on a switch. I choose which light to plug into the deck fitting (two cables coming down mast). Saved me a lot of extra work since you won't have need to run steaming and anchor light at the same time.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Unless I can turn off the forward red and green lights I can't get to a white light only 'at anchor' configuration. I would like my light as high and as bright as possible. I need to replace that crappy OEM deck fitting anyway. I'm adding a new 360 light circuit on a separate switch below. I was an electronics tech in a previous life so it's no big deal. I want those crazy power boaters to see me as early as possible!
The people in the accident article turned off their lights so they could see the stars better :eek:

Nov 19, 2011
Ahh ok , I have separate switches for running (red/green) stern and mast.

Like I said install the mast light on a separate wire from the steaming light and just put a plug that matches your deck fitting on it.

Remember your anchor light is high and may not be seen well if they are close. If your in a traffic area, put a lantern on the boom or pop top.

cscott

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S - 1993 Aumsville, OR
I have mounted a yard solar light on the port and starbard sides on the life line stantions. They burn all night long, and work well as anchor lights. Helps find the boat in a moorage also.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
So what does this mean? "during such times no other lights shall be exhibited."

When I anchor at night I light the all round white light on my masthead. I also have solar rope lights that I run along the life-lines. I have lights in the cockpit and in the cabin that show outside. Am I breaking the rules when I have these other lights on at night? What about my green underwater light? I don't worry so much on the ocean but on Lake Lanier the boat drivers are drunk and careless. I want all the light I can afford on the lake. Don't want to be blamed if they hit me.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This is a little more clear

The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I was under the impression the anchor light had to be 360degr. with a two mile range rating. A lantern will not do due to the mast being an obstruction nor will two lights that cover opposing radiuses. Has to be a single light.

I mounted a USCG rated light at the top of my mast and ran the line in the mast to a deck fitting. Exit points on the mast were through rubber grommets. I ran my VHF antenna to the top at the same time. Radio rage is now over 30Mi!! I ran a separate power feed to the light on a switch. That way I can power it up by itself. Works great and not too much trouble. Leave the wire tie tails on when running wires up the mast. This eliminated them from slapping the inside of the mast. Bad photo but it shows the mast head.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was under the impression the anchor light had to be 360degr. with a two mile range rating. A lantern will not do due to the mast being an obstruction nor will two lights that cover opposing radiuses. Has to be a single light.

I mounted a USCG rated light at the top of my mast and ran the line in the mast to a deck fitting. Exit points on the mast were through rubber grommets. I ran my VHF antenna to the top at the same time. Radio rage is now over 30Mi!! I ran a separate power feed to the light on a switch. That way I can power it up by itself. Works great and not too much trouble. Leave the wire tie tails on when running wires up the mast. This eliminated them from slapping the inside of the mast. Bad photo but it shows the mast head.
That's the right way :thumbup:

Nov 19, 2011
I spoke to the guys at WM last year and for our smaller boats, there seems to be an exception where we can use 2 opposing lights (stern and steaming) because no mater where you are one white can be seen. That of course could mean your red/green has to be off via a second switch.

I think a anchor light is not a difficult light for us trailer sailors because we can do all the work while the mast is down. Now if we had to climb, that's a whole different beast.

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
You can switch them off and run a lantern up the halyard too.
thats exactly what ive been doing for 3 seasons now. i still dont have proper nav lights, just the battery operated LED lights from West Marine. i have never done any moving after dark, so i just hoist the stern all-around white up my backstay with a follower line so i can pull it down. works fine and keeps me legal. (or legal enough to not get into trouble on my mountain reservoir. I'm also the only boat ive ever seen spend the night on the water) i finally do have new LED nav lights to install into my 12v system... as soon as i have a weekend that i dont want to go sailing...

Nov 19, 2011
I think one other thing is to not go to the top of the sail or even the top hank if it's close. It will fold over and make it hard. Go to the second hank

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
What Rules?

Where are you using your boat?

Where do you keep you boat? On the side of a navigable channel, in a cove off of a navigable channel, in a marina, in a private cove that you access through a small creek or wetland, or on a large inland lake. If near the ocean is the area covered by off shore rules, or inland rules. (This is usually marked on navigation charts.)

There are several sets of rules that depending on where you sail may or may not affect what lights you have on your boat. There are the coastal rules (May be called something slightly different). Inland rules, and there are state and local, and marina rules.

Before you jump in and start changing things make sure you know what rules you must comply with.

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
Just added all new strip LED's 24 inch long strips below rub rail and a white 24 inch around wraps around mast twice. all came sealed, weatherproof with 3m adhesive backing, at 15 bucks a strip there a bargain if I can get 4-5 years out of each, and are much more visible than the old incandescent bulbs .