Mac Gregor 26 Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
bad form

"would not be caught dead anywhere on a Mac 26. They also sail like crap", and "The Mac 26 does not deserve to be considered a sailboat". Gail, are you the one who said this? I know really nothing about the Pearson and assume they are fine boats but not easilly trailerable. The Mac is very trailerable and I really like my 26S (a mere 9 seconds per mile slower - about 1.3% - but a huge amount easier to trailer and launch). I wonder why someone would have a problem with me picking a sailboat which best meets my needs??? Odd.. (and the thread is pretty funny)

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
A response to Gail's latest

Remember, this thread was started by someone who doesn't own a Mac and came onto this forum to tell us why our boats aren't as good as others. For years, my cousin owned a Pearson 26 and I sailed with him on two hundred-mile races in the Handicap division, as well as other round-the-buoy races. My 1994 Mac 26 sails at least as fast on every point of sail, and is faster in light air. This is confirmed by the fact that the Galveston Bay PHRF Association lists one P26 with a corrected rating of 213. Three M26D's have ratings of 210 and three M26S's have ratings of 213. Essentially, the P26 and the M26C are rated the same. I assume Gail's rating of 222 was for the 26X and/or the 26M, which everyone concedes don't sail as well as the classic. However, the tradeoff is that you don't see any P26's planing at 20k under power. Even so, the nine second difference in rating isn't much and in every race you see boats rated nine seconds slower beating their competition boat for boat. Pearson hasn't made the 26 in years; MacGregor is still cranking them out as fast as they can. For what it's worth in this very subjective area, the market has spoken. Speaking of which, MacGregor has probably introduced more people to the sport and joy of sailing than anyone else.

G

Gail

Speaking of bad form

Okay, first a little history: That this whole "invasion of the forums" started weeks ago when a Pearson owner asked fellow Pearson owners on the Pearson forum about trailering his Pearson 26 a short distance to a winter storage facility. It was a MAC owner (Tom Spohn to be precise) that invaded the Pearson list and fired the first barb, saying this Pearson owner should have bought a MAC instead. That post is dated Oct. 12. The only Macs I have ever seen are the power boats rated for 50 HP engine with the little toothpick for a mast on them. Come on, admit it, they have got to be the sorriest excuse for a sailboat that ever existed. Furthermore, they are totally unsuitable for the area that Bob (the guy with the P26) and I sail in. So I made my comments to that effect, saying the boats don't even compare (they don't) and suggesting he save himself aggrevation and hire a hauler. Then all you other MAC owners came over, invaded the forum, defended your Macs, then a couple added a little fantasy about their performance relative to Pearsons. So I thought I would at least set the record straight on the performance issue with the PHRF base ratings. Now... I will humbly apologize and stand corrected in that I mis-categorized all Macs to be like the Mac that's the power boat with the little toothpick mast on top. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that there was more than one kind of Mac, because all we see around here is the one I mentioned (26X ???). The Mac 26S is not nearly so ugly, in fact, she don't look half bad. ;-) My question to you is this: Tom Spohn's post was what started this whole thing. Why do your forum members feel the need to lurk on other forums and tell people they should have bought a Mac when they are entirely happy with their Pearsons?

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Discrepancies?

Tom Spohn 10/12 at 10:27AM (Pearson forum) If trailering is a priority why not get a boat designed for it in the first place. I have owned three MacGregor 26 ft boats in the past and the trailering was a snap. These boats retract the centerboard/daggerboard and sit very low on the trailer making launching easy. The mast and rigging takes about 10 minutes to fold up onto the top of the boat. The whole rig only weighs about 3500 lbs. so you don't need a monster truck to tow it. Our old explorer worked fine. The Macs won't sail as well as a keelboat or motor as well as a powerboat, but they will do most things well enough to enable a lot of fun on the water. Oh yes, all of the new boats come with a properly engineered trailer. Gail 11/08 at 10:27AM (Pearson forum) A guy buys a Pearson 26 and gets on the Pearson forum asking about trailering his Pearson sailboat. Immediately a MAC owner comes on the Pearson forum and says he should get (or have gotten) a Mac 26 instead, with the implication that the Mac 26 is superior in all respects. Then he invites all his Mac friends to invade the Pearson forum and nod in agreement. ================================================== Anyone see any discrepancies between Tom Spohn’s original post and Gail’s description of it? Tom’s response to a question about trailering merely offered an alternative solution to a need to trailer a boat. He listed both the advantages and the disadvantages of the Mac, with no indication that I can read that the Mac was superior in all respects. I also cannot find any invitation for any Mac friends to invade the Pearson forum. I hope that Bob, the poster who had the original question, takes Tom’s post for what it was, simply an alternative suggestion. I have read a lot of posts where people disagreed on a subject, or proposed different alternatives, but the posters generally behave like ladies and gentlemen and agreed to disagree. I have never before read a series of posts with as much venom and hate (and as little knowledge) as Gail’s. I don’t understand why she has such strong negative opinions of boats she hasn’t been on and knows little about, or why she finds it so necessary to be so rude and insulting. She has stated that she would not be caught dead on a Mac. We should all be grateful; I don’t believe I would want to be on either a Mac or a Pearson with a full “Gale” blowing.

Jul 14, 2004
Bristol 30 Le Roy, Mi.
Play Well Togeather

I post here a lot. I don't own a "Mac". I do own 2 Venture 23's. I own several boats. If one boat was the best. There would be only one boat out there. Guess what, every boat is a compromise, and we buy and sail what we LIKE. or can afford. I've had a Pearson 22, great boat, wish I never lost it (divorce). My last divorce was a blessing. Not having a sail boat at the time (she wouldn't even think of sailing) I finally got a stink pot (still have it, but it just sets on a trailer at the house). When she left, I rented out the house since I don't get home offten, and got a sail boat. My first of 3 Vn 23's. This was my first time with a Mac. I had sailed larger boats for years before my last marriage. I've sailed sunfish, dinghys, lasers, pearsons (22, 26 and 30's), buccaneers, morgans, choy lees, bristols. I even sailed on Freedom one summer years ago.(US AMERICA'S CUP boat) I love them all. Everyone has a place. Everyone of them did something better than the rest. Today I try and have a boat at all the places I seem to end up on weekends. I have a Bristol 30 in Tn. a Vn 23 in Mi. and another in Fl. a North American in Tx. And may add a cape dory in Ok. this weekend. Now I get to sail almost every weekend, on different boats. I love them all. Best part, old sail boats have never been cheaper. All these boats and they cost less than a house! I won't ever have a house again. I may sell a pile of boats in a few years and keep the biggest one (the Bristol 30) or get a bigger one, and retire sailing the Caribbean, untill I just fade away, in that one paticular harbor. Play nice togeather, we may all need each others help some day.

Aug 25, 2007
- - Browonville, WA
Mast Waving?

Each of us chooses a boat to suit our personal tastes and needs. We are retired, and as brand new sailors, we qualify as "bumblers" getting in and out of our slip. Our beautiful little Mac26X is perfect for us. It is safe (it knows more than we do!), versatile, and most of all, it is fun. It was also ridiculously inexpensive. My husband was prepared to buy any boat of my choice, and was surprised that I didn't want one with a great big mast! (Sorry about that). We live on Puget Sound, and with this boat we can explore nearly anywhere, shallow water or not, and rip across to Seattle in record time. We've also had it up to 6+ knots under sail. He loves it as much as I do---I don't think he would if it were a chore! You are so fortunate to have spent 50 years sailing. I only got to sail early in my life, and have truly missed it for 30 years. I don't understand; how you can be so lucky and so cranky at the same time?

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Watch your own video, You Yours!

There is a great deal of difference in the apparent speeds of the two boats, and the "fast" boat is sailing fast. However, a great deal of the apparent difference is accounted for in the fact that the "fast" boat is MEETING the Mac, not passing it. The "fast" boat is headed directly for a bridge in the far distance; the Mac is headed away from it. The camera pans from the starboard to aft following the fast boat (and seeing the bridge), then back to starboard, foreward, port, then aft again to see the bridge. While Mac X's and M's may not be as fast as keel boats of similar size, claiming this video shows the difference in speed is just another cheap shot.

G

Gail

Bob, probably best if we just give it up

It's pretty obvious to you, and me, and everyone here except the Mac invasion party, that Tom Spohn instigated this whole thing by suggesting you give up your Pearson and get a Mac. When I replied extolling the virtues of the Pearson (and degrading the Mac), Tom or some other Mac lurkers rallied the forces over on the Mac board and the invasion here intensified. I find it quite amusing, really, that these guys and gals find it necessary to get all defensive about their boats to the point that they have to jump on other lists and try to convert owners of other makes. Like I posted on the Mac board, it's almost like they are some kind of religious cult. I have learned something, though. There are indeed different flavors of the Mac 26 (thank heavens they're not all as ugly as that motor sailor). And you're a lucy guy with two great boats in the Pearson 26 and the CD 30. Sweet!!!

B

bio

Gail and fatcat

one person suggesting that a pearson owner get a mac for trailoring ease in no way merits both of your harsh comments. You take a sailor you saw and judge a whole fleet on that? Both of you must have low self esteem if you need to make yourself feel better by making IGNORANT comments about a boat you obviously have never sailed. If you saw me I would not be bobbing about... chances are good I'd be waving as I went by YOU. I'd be more than happy to show you how full of crap your comments about my 26s are. Not only can I hold my own against your boat, if not more, but I'll be sailing in the keys over christmas and sailing and seeing fireworks and sailing in Tampa bay for new years. Both of you need to get a clue before you stereotypically spout ignorant untruths. All you have done here is to highlight your stupidity in judging a class of boats by a few you MAY have see; and bold faced your ignorance of the variety of boats macgregor has in the 26 range.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Like I said -- Gail is thick as a brick!!!

With all the clarification/proof, in the form of copy and past, this thick *butt head still wants to argue! :{ Gail, to quote you from your last post; "Tom or some other Mac lurkers rallied the forces over on the Mac board and the invasion here intensified". Gail, are you delirious? Your over here on the Macgregor forum, you yo-yo! To use one of your phrases Gail; I wouldn't want to be caught dead on ANY boat with you! Something tells me you're not much fun to sail with. Give it up Gail! Go back to your narrow minded life! ;D

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Here, Hear

After reading the entire thread it appaers Paul Brinkley posted the true facts, Gail just doesn't get it, but then what women would admit she was wrong. I really enjoyed JoMama's response and the expression "bumblers" 'cause it sounds like us a few years ago. I also sail the PNW and enjoy the Mac for the same reasons and bought it for the same reason, my wife really liked it, it was her pick, now I like it too. They may not sail the best or motor the best but they do do a whole lot more. As a side note: You, Yours; What has gotten in to you? You sound like a turncoat. I know you own blue hull 26M and really like it and have seen you defend it in the past. Your position on it of late is almost a 180 degree turn around (this includes your presence on other sites). Have you sold it and got something else?

G

Gail

Okay, I screwed up big time on one of these posts!

The one starting with "Bob, probably best if we just give it up." I meant to post that on the Pearson forum, not here. It was in response to Bob's post over there entitled "?". May bad... big old Homer Simpton style "D'OH!!!" from me. Please forgive me for being human; I've gotta watch where I'm posting! I stand by my assertion that Tom Spohn remains the instigator and did indeed give unsolicited and uncalled for advice on Oct. 12 on the initial question from Bob. It is abundantly clear that Bob wanted advice on trailering his Pearson 26, and for a Mac owner to come in saying he got the wrong boat is bad form indeed. Now if Bob had said he was in the market for a trailer sailor, and asked been for advice on the pros and cons of various boats, then Tom's post would have been spot on. But that was not the question, was it?

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Nice...

The Pearson guys are probably laughing and enjoying things right now as apparantly they threw a dead fish over here. The dead fish is starting to stink...

C

Chris & Lenore - Mac 26S - Teliki

Something to keep in mind..

These forums are viewed by many people - only a handful participate. You are bound to run into someone you recognize from here. Hate to be remembered (or avoided) because of posts like the ones in this thread... Chris

J

John S

My Opinion

First of all, Gail is a hundred per cent correct. How dare anyone post on another forum even though sailboatowners. com has it set up that way to do exactly that.... And how dare anyone post on a list that Gail and her Pearson friends obviously solely own and control? You all know that I have been trying to extricate myself from the Macgregor cult. It is very difficult to get out of the cult, so many of my friends are in the cult, too. It really fries me that I could not be part of the invasion, dang it, once again I missed the boat. Also, this thread started last month...wtf! All right, the famed fued at Sailing Anarchy between the sailboat crews and Mac boats in general (few of the real Mac haters on that list own their own- too expensive) filters out into the general sailboat crews and owners and they make a generalization, thinking that there are only X and M models out there. Sometimes I'll even hear someone say "yeah there used to be some other Macs and they didn't sail too badly". If any Mac suffers a breakdown of any kind in any conditions, there are those who are quick to point out that that problem is endemic to Macs, even though other boats suffer the same malady. It is a symptom of a person's lack of overall exposure to sailboats, to point at any one type or manufacturer and say "that is a bad sailboat", because children I am going to tell you something I have found in my own experience working on sailboats: a lot of sailboats are unsafe for various reasons. Oh yeah, whether it is wiring, plumbing, rudders and steering, fuel systems or just a lack of performance, a lot of older boats have problems that would cause a calamity in the right adverse conditions. Don't even ask about sails and conditions. My own guidelines tell me the tool must fit the job. For some people, the Mac is the tool for their needs. Now a long time ago, I got a sailboat from a Kool cigareete promotion. The hull was made of styrofoam, THAT was an unsafe sailboat. However, in a small pond, that might be a real fun time, I don't know.

C

Chuck

Sounds Like Kids

The on going monologue between many of you sounds like a bunch of kids. Some kids sound more adult than some of you do. No boat is perfect for everyone, and we all have our personal prefernces. However, we all enjoy sailing and should not nock one brand over another. Just don't buy it. We are able to make choices and compromises, and should respect the choices and compromises others make. After all the boat they have is their pride and joy. That is the adult way of doing things. As for reading or posting on forums, that is what forums are there for. As an adult, if we do not like what is said, we should just ignore it, and go on with our life. Sooo-- lets stop the bickering, mud slinging ( unless you are a politician ), and other childish behavor, and act like the adults we are suppose to be. Chuck

C

Chuck

Re: Lovely thought Chuckie

sardo, In August 2007 I bought the boat that at this time in my life, 72+, suited my needs the best. I will put her in the water for the first time in May 2008. I have not been sailing since 1981, but in the 70's, I've sailed on Cal 25, Islander 36, Chinook 30, Balboa 26, Columbia 50, Cascade's and others. Use to take sailboats up and down the coast from Port Townsend, WA, to Portland, OR, and visa versa. Than sail the San Juan Is. Puget Sound, and Canadian waters. Today, I want to be able to go from one body of water to another easily. I want a boat that is easy to launch and pull out with out hoists. I will sail lakes, the Columbia, Puget Sound, San Juan Is., and Canadian waters. I do not want to have a permanent moorage. However, I may get a moorage from one to two months at a time. What I am after is easy mobility. Therefore, I bought "Last Chance" She is a 1993 MacGregor 26C. Is she the perfect boat? No, but she is the right compromise for me. There are mods that I will make before May 2008, and there are drawbacks that I will live with. But, I am very happy with my choise, and am looking forward to sailing again. If I was younger and lived by the Puget Sound, I might of made a different choise. I have never been on a sailboat I did not like, because I enjoyed sailing. I have learned something from every sail I have been on, and still have a lot to learn. You will see that by all the dumb questions I will ask. In reality, the only dumb question is the one that is not asked. Nobody knows everything, and we are all learners. So ask away. Probably more info than you wanted sardo. Take care eveyone, and happy sailing no matter what the boat is, Chuck

S

sardo

Must have done your homework.

Chuck, you've chosen a versatile sailboat indeed. Former Macs were 600 pound cast iron swing keels that I personally believe are for the young, or at least 'young at heart w/a lot o' money'. Namely because if or when the keel cable breaks on those, when you are out on the water, you will need to hire a frogman to repair it before you can trailor it home. Makes for a log stressful day. But with the lighter swing keel and water ballasted 26, better days are ahead. True, you can snap a cable on a 26C but it isn't hard to recover from that and won't cost you an arm and a leg to repair it. I've been told you can actually winch it back on the trailor and get it home easily enough. I'm 71 and had a 1981 Mac25. Did the keel bolt and cable change on it twice. Once when I was 50 and the job was misery. And then again when I was 62 and the job was agony. Swore at that point I would sell and buy a 26X. Time flew as it normally does and the 26M came out and I finally sold the Mac25 and bought a Mac 26M. Far less maintenance and no cast iron keel headaches. I can set up and trailor the boat myself and singlehand without much of a problem. So it looks as if you have done your homework Chuck. Good choice. Good luck my friend. sardo

Status
Not open for further replies.