Mac 26X - Que es la deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jesse Tate

I am considering buying a 26X (or maybe the new 26M) but want to get a feel for the boat through owners opinions. I haven't had the opportunity to sail a M26X and as is usually the case you don't get all wind conditions during a few hours of sea trials. I am a lake sailor primarily so light air sailing is usually the norm. However when small craft advisory notices are posted I want to head for the lake. I also plan to expand my sailing to the South Carolina coast, Florida Keys, and surrounding lakes in our area. My boats have always been on the SC coast or Lake Hartwell on the SC side. So, any comments you could send my way both pro and con would be appreciated. If you are close by and would allow me to crew with you I would be happy to share sea stories from 25 years sailing experience. Fair Winds, Jesse Tate

J

Jerry

Try This Link

I have an older 26, not X. Try the link to get in touch w/ x owners near you. It's devoted to the X. -Jerry

J

Jim McKirdy

SC,Florida, GA sailing Macgregor 26X

I have owned my 1998 26X. If you do buy one may I suggest that you get the boat with the following options. #1 mast raising and lowing kit. #2. The boarding lader.#3. If you are planning to use the macgregor trailer alot put buddy barrings in the unit to seal the barrings from salt water. I love the 26X. I replaced the trailer with a galvinized unit that I offer for 1,700.00 each. The macgregor trailer is steel and will rust heavly in 3 years. As a sail boat my 26X has over 300 hours of sailing in Florida atlantic side only. I find that the florida bay in the keys are too shallow and the gulf of mexico is way too shallow for sailing near the coast. These are the reasons why I chose the 26X. #1. large cabin for 26'. #2. I can lauch and recover the boat on the trailer by my self.#3. I can sail the boat by my self without any one else. #4. The boat is fast enough to get out of the way from storms. I use a honda 50 and I can reach speeds up to 23MPH and most storms travel at 5-8MPH. #5. low draft. This boat draws 9" with the engine,rudders, and centerboard up. I never worry about running aground. I am a avid sailer....Jim

S

Steve Cameron

The 26x Compromise

I generally agree with Jim McKirdy's response. The 26x is a great boat, but it is a compromise. I live next to a river, and near several lakes and a delta. I do not want to dock my boat for the year at any one location. My Mac26x lets me easily sail it anywhere that I can drive, from Lake Tahoe to the San Francisco Bay. It's not the fastest sailboat, but it is a versital boat that can sail or power to places that other sailboat owners only dream about. It is not difficult to trailer or to launch. On top of that, it provides me with all the amenities of a deluxe camper. It's a great compromise of sailboat, powerboat and camper for those who have more than one place to sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.