Mac 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John E. Beers

Am looking at a used Mac 26 and don't know which model it is? Does S stand for sloop? Its a 95' water ballast. I'd be interested in ocean sailing mainly, but my bay is small and very shallow. Is this boat fit for both, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

M

Mike

It's a swing keel

26s means swing keel. 26d is a dagger board model. 26c is a classic which could be a 26s or a 26d.

C

Curtiss Grant

Good Fit

I am confident you will find the 26S to be ideal for your environment. I also have a shadow bay and I have drug mine though water just over my ankles. I am still amazed. It is not as comfortable out in the open water although some owners will disagree with me. The MAC will ride the waves okay but it will toss you around a little. I have a difficult time sleeping over night on it even in well protected water. I when to a lake last weekend and it did fine there. But for your situation, I do not think you can beat it. Good Luck

J

JB

Tender but fun

The 26S can be very exciting -- as a water ballast boat, it's very tender to the wind - easily reaching 15 degrees of heel in 10kts or less especially if you use a genny. On Lake Lanier, my wife and I regularly sail close to the wind at over 20 degrees and have seen over 40 degrees many times although at 40 degrees, you really can't hold heading as the boat is so over powered it rounds up. As far as a good match for your conditions, I have found the boat has a very fine entry and little excess bouyancy up front and may tend to take water over the bow in short swells (we keep the bow hatch closed when the wind and waves kick up). All in all, I like the Mac for its trailer ability and speed (On a reach with 14 kts, it will really move).

Status
Not open for further replies.