Mac 25 loose keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Rodrigues

I was under the boat yesterday trying to remove the keel cable attachment bolt when I noticed that the swing keel had freeplay. With the keel resting on the rubber center carrier I was able to move the trailing edge of the swing keel about an inch and a half. The pivot bolt is new. Does that hole in the swing keel become elongated or what? Is there a replaceable bushing in the swing keel that I cannot see? How did anyone else handle this situation? I believe that this looseness is the cause of that occasional CLUNK sound I hear while sailing.

J

john

loose keel

FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS I HAD NOTICED THAT MY KEEL ON MY MACGREGOR 25 WAS LOOSE. I ASSUMED THIS WAS NORMAL. I HAD CHANGED MY KEEL PIN A YEAR AND A HALF AGO.LAST YEAR FOR NO APPARENT REASON MY KEEL FELL OFF. I FEEL THAT I MAY HAVE SUFFERED SOME ELECTROLYSIS, CAUSING THE PIVOT WHOLE TO ENLARGE TO THE POINT IT WORE OUT. I WAS NOT ABLE TO RECOVER THE KEEL SO I AM NOT ENTIRELY SURE. I WILL BE MAKING A TRIP TO HAVENCRAFT, IN MASS. FOR A NEW KEEL.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Oh oh.....

Now you're scaring me John......Guess I'll have to make it a priority to pulling the swing keel off the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.