Mac 25 - Keel Gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Haynes

I have recently aquired a 1984 Mac 25. Great boat...It has been out of the water for over a year and I was wondering if there is anything I should do with the keel bolt gasket. Does it dry out? Is there an easy way to replace it (if I need to) other that removing the keel bolt and risk dropping the keel itself? Thanks! Doug

M

Matt Engelman

Keel bolt gasket

I'd wait to see if it leaks before replacing it, it should only weep a little water if its cracked. I SUPPOSE you could try to slip the existing bolt out while scooting another in from the other side and then reversing the process. I think it is pretty likely that you'd have to take the weight off the bolt before trying a stunt like that. I've never tried it and it's probably not the best way to do it...I'd assume the keel is going to drop and block it securely. I think I remember something about this on the list not too long ago... Cheers, Matt

D

Dave Schiller

keel gasket

I have just been through this on my Mac25. I got worried that the keel bolt had never been replaced so I did replace it with parts from Havencraft in Mass. To do the replacement, I put the boat on the trailer, blocked the keel on the axle with some 2x4 pieces and shim pieces. I also used a hydraulic jack on the forward nose of the keel which took some of the pressure off. Then (quickly) I loosened and replaced the keel bolt and gaskets. On the gaskets I used 4500 seating caulk and there is no leakage at all. By the way, the old bolt looked just fine so this was probably quite unnecessary. For your purposes, I wouldn't do anything unless you are getting some leakage. If theleakage is there and a problem, I think I'd try blocking the keel and raise it a little as I did but instead of taking the bolt all teh way out, just loosen it enough to put some of the 4500 caulk in on both insides of the gaskets on each side and then tightem it back up. That should work just fine. Hope this helps. Dave Schiller dschil3870@aol.com

R

Richard Wallace

Had The Keel Out On My 85 - 25

I took the keel off my boat several years ago. I blocked the keel on the trailer. I set two 6x6's, put a 6x8 across and then picked up the boat by using a come-along on the chain plates and then rolled the trailer out from under the boat. I lowered the boat to the ground and rolled it back and forth to fix the blisters and to put a barrier coat on the bottom. I reversed the process to get it back on the trailer. I used a jack to do the final repositioning of the keel and put the bolt back in place. The only sealing was at the point where the keel hinge bolt went through the trunk. The other place for a leak is at the keel lock-down bolt. You really need to put that bolt in place when sailing because a spirited sail with a lot of heel could cause the keel to fold up against the bottom and over you will go. I use large stainless fender washers with a rubber gasket between them and the cabin trunk and normally have very little leaking. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.