M25XPBC Coolant Recovery Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
New to the deisel engine and I have a question about the coolant recovery system.

During the season, when the boat was not being used, the coolant recovery tank had coolant in it that sat above the "ADD" line. The boat has been out of the water since October and I hav noticed that there is no coolant in the tank anymore. When I open the manifold pressure cap, there is coolant up to the top. It is clean coolant with no rust or foreign materials in it.

My question is, should there be coolant in that recovery tank even if the engine is not running and the coolant is cool?

My manual says "Remove the cap on the coolant recovery tank, fill with coolant mix to halfway between LOW and MAX, and replace the cap..." The cap seems like it is permanently secured and I don't want to force it open if it is.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
There should be coolant in the tank at all times. It will not kill the motor if there is not but over time it does promote rust inside the engine.
The fact that it did have coolant and now does not without you using the engine should be looked into. Do you have coolant puddles under the enging??
For the record a lot of Yanmar have this problem and just topping off the tank seems to fix it for the season.
The tank cap should have a thumb tab to assist in removing the cap. If it says "add" on it then clearly they intended there be some way to do that!!!

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
If it says "add" on it then clearly they intended there be some way to do that!!!
Hmm. I feel pretty stupid now!!! :D

Now that you mention it, there was never any coolant leakage during the season but after winterizing and returning this winter, I found a bit of coolant in the bilge under the engine. It appeared pink so I assume that it was the winterizing anti-freeze. My plan was to do some troubleshooting this week to see if there's a bad hose or a leak. I have no idea how or when this anti-freeze appeared or where it may have come from (had some leaking in the head from the electric toilet so it may have got down to the bilge from there...I'm hoping that's where it is from). I believe that the engine coolant is green though.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Hmm. I feel pretty stupid now!!! :D

Now that you mention it, there was never any coolant leakage during the season but after winterizing and returning this winter, I found a bit of coolant in the bilge under the engine. It appeared pink so I assume that it was the winterizing anti-freeze. My plan was to do some troubleshooting this week to see if there's a bad hose or a leak. I have no idea how or when this anti-freeze appeared or where it may have come from (had some leaking in the head from the electric toilet so it may have got down to the bilge from there...I'm hoping that's where it is from). I believe that the engine coolant is green though.
make sure if you add engine coolant you dont mix the green with the orange stuff....or you will have oatmeal in your engine....the two are not compatable.......

regards

woody

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
woodster said:
make sure if you add engine coolant you dont mix the green with the orange stuff....or you will have oatmeal in your engine....the two are not compatable.......

regards

woody
I definitely made sure. Good thing too because it looked green in the manifold but when i extracted some it was definitely orange and the stuff I bought was green!

Attachments

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Odds are good that your coolant leak is right in the hose that attaches to the plastic container bottle or the end that connects to the cooling system since the cooling system is still full. Fill the reserve and leave some new paper towel under this hose untill you come back to the boat. You'll then know where its leaking

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Odds are good that your coolant leak is right in the hose that attaches to the plastic container bottle or the end that connects to the cooling system since the cooling system is still full. Fill the reserve and leave some new paper towel under this hose untill you come back to the boat. You'll then know where its leaking
Actually it ended up not being a leak, per se. A few weeks ago, I was going over the engine and I took the coolant cap off and then got caught doing something else. I put the cap back on and walked away. The next week is when I found the coolant under the engine.

Today, when I was filling the recovery tank, I again forgot I had the cap off and coolant started pouring out. This time, I saw it happen and all of a sudden it clicked. It was a leak, but it was an owner induced leak. Mystery solved and all is well!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Mixing more than 10% of the low pH extended life coolants with the high pH conventional coolants can cause the inorganic additives in the green coolant to come out of solution and form solid deposits in the cooling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.