M-12 Oil Change

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have a 1984 Oday 28. Oil drain plus is not accessible. To change oil I guess I need to pump it out by inserting pump hose thru the dip stick hole and pump her dry? Have to look for. A pump with diameter hose. Does this make sense or is there a better way?
1711069592980.jpeg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
It appears that there is a hose laying next to the starboard engine mount with a bolt in the hose and a hose clamp. Assuming I am right, try extending this hose about 24" by using a piece of copper tubing inserted into the hose after removing the bolt. Then use a 12v pump to extract the engine oil from the oil pan after warming up the engine for about 3 minutes. When completed , put the bolt at the end of the extension hose and hang the hose high from a suitable spot. That hose ends at the rear end of the oil pan and is used to drain the oil. You can find 12v mini pump from harbor freight for about $50.00.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Unless there is a existing hose from the oil pan to attach a pump to, or you can access the drain plug in the oil pan, pumping out through the dipstick hole is probably what you are stuck with ..

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
It appears that there is a hose laying next to the starboard engine mount with a bolt in the hose and a hose clamp. Assuming I am right, try extending this hose about 24" by using a piece of copper tubing inserted into the hose after removing the bolt. Then use a 12v pump to extract the engine oil from the oil pan after warming up the engine for about 3 minutes. When completed , put the bolt at the end of the extension hose and hang the hose high from a suitable spot. That hose ends at the rear end of the oil pan and is used to drain the oil. You can find 12v mini pump from harbor freight for about $50.00.
Good eye Joe. That looks like the oil pump out hose on my M18.

edit: But my pump our hose is long enough to access and attach a pump to.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think you got it. Our ‘85 28 had a similar setup - the hose was longer and ran up to a clip on the starboard side of the engine compartment. We just had to unscrew the plug from the end of the hose and connect an oil pump.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Word of advice: look into replacing your alternator bracket with the upgraded version - the original that you have is weak and designed incorrectly and has been known to break underway sending the alternator into the timing case cover and ruining it - those covers are pretty much unobtainable meaning your engine is toast. You want a bracket that looks like this:
IMG_0330.JPG

• Helpful
Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
Jssailem:

Is your Universal engine a M-12? It was my understanding that the alternator bracket upgrade was for larger engines than the M-12. I attach a Lowes Garden tractor oil change vacuum pump (about $35) to the oil change hose at the bottom of the oil pan to suck the oil out of my engine. I had to purchase a brass barbed fitting to make the connection to the hose that came with the pump. I stick a small plastic tube inside of the vacuum hose to suck most of the transmission oil out from the top of the transmission before removing the drain plug on the bottom.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
Randall.... I own a 1983 O'Day 30 with a Universal M-20 (5416) 16 hp engine. Some of the folks responding to you noted that there was a hose on the starboard side of the engine that may be the oil drain hose for your engine. Before adding anything to that hose follow the hose and make sure it is attached to the crankcase oil drain plug hole. When I purchased my boat in 1984 I ordered an "Oil Drain Kit" (part # 300724) from Universal that was made by West Wind Products (#OD-P 12mm) to install in my engine. It is a red colored hose that attaches to a fitting that goes in your crankcase drain with a brass fitting and plug that you can drain your oil from. I did not use a pump to get the oil out. I put my finger over the dip stick hole and blew into the breather hose that comes off the valve train cover to push the oil out. As I have aged a little over the past 40 years I now use a low pressure air pump connected to the air breather hose to push the oil out into a container. I think you can get more of the oil out by taking it off the bottom of the crankcase that you can by drawing it from the dip stick. I don't think that West Wind is still in business. Attached are pictures of the label from the hose. Good luck.

Attachments

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to go back and look for this.Not sure I understand the use of a coppertube. Beyond using it to straighten out the hose does the oil flow thru it? Today I tried using an $8 hand transfer pump with a dup stick adapter to extract the oil and only got a 1/2 or so quart out. The damn hose popped off the pump at one point (it’s only a press fit with no clamp) and used oil squirted on me and my cabin floor. What a frustrating mess. I’m also not certain how to read the dip and will have to post a photo for advice. It has 2 cross wise marks on it and numbers between the 2 marks. The original m-12 manual does not state how to read the dip stick to ensure she is full. I filled to the 1st line on the dip stick and she ran fine in normal operating temperature. thanks again for your advice!

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Jssailem:

Is your Universal engine a M-12? It was my understanding that the alternator bracket upgrade was for larger engines than the M-12. I attach a Lowes Garden tractor oil change vacuum pump (about $35) to the oil change hose at the bottom of the oil pan to suck the oil out of my engine. I had to purchase a brass barbed fitting to make the connection to the hose that came with the pump. I stick a small plastic tube inside of the vacuum hose to suck most of the transmission oil out from the top of the transmission before removing the drain plug on the bottom.
the photo I posted is of my M-12 yes. Sounds like you are recommending what Joewhite said, that there is an extraction hose. I’ll look for that.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I went and inspected today. There is no hose near the right motor mount - what you saw is electrical cables. Here is a new photo closer up plus a view of the `dip stick (shows my dirty oil) and am validating what are the fill marks

Attachments

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Randall, your new photo indicates that you are looking at the PORT side of the engine where the oil filter is. Look on the STARBOARD side, that would be the opposite side of the engine.
If you are standing in front of the engine, the oil filter is to your right and the hose is to your left.
I realize it may be confusing, but starboard is the right side of the boat when you are looking at the bow.
I am sure you will succeed on your next trip.
Take some photos from the back of the engine showing the starboard side.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I went and inspected today. There is no hose near the right motor mount - what you saw is electrical cables. Here is a new photo closer up plus a view of the `dip stick (shows my dirty oil) and am validating what are the fill marks
Randall,
Joe said the starboard motor mount. Your current picture is of the port side. Don't forget the starboard side will be on your left asy you look from the front to the back of the engine as in this picture.

In your photo in post one Joe is referring to the hose just next to (touching) the starboard motor mount on the left side of the picture, just below the raw water pump.

Whoops, Joe beat me to it as I typed.

1711921947364.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I’ll go look again. What diameter copper tubing do I need. The photo I took is me looking forward the engine that is facing me. So the oil filter is starboard. I see the area you circled and will look more closely at that when I go to the boat again. Thanks for the advice!