Luger 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2011
Catalina 25 Boardman, OR
Hi,
I am looking at a 1985 Luger 21. Looks like there are several models; Southwind, leeward, windward, etc. Does anyone have a resource so I can see the differences between them. Is this a boat one (or 2) can spend the night on?

Thanks in advance,

Tweeet

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The LEEWARD is a 16' model similar to an O'DAY Day Sailer I (well, sort of?).
I think the Southwind and Windward are basically the same boat, the difference is mainly that the SOUTHWIND has a retractable keel that is totally below the hull, and the WINDWARD is a CENTERBOARD design with the CB housed inside the hull. (Windward is an older version of hte Southwind) I have an old (1981 and 1982) catalog, but there used to be a LUGER BOATS website mantained by a few owners. "The Luger Mooring".... unfortunately it seems to have disappeared!
I'd suggest "googling" LUGER, see what you find...... I think I found more info on a couple of general sailing sites, like one on trailersailing. Try the Small Craft Advisor Web Site (and magazine).

I can try to answer questions based on my brochures.....

PS: the "SOUTHWIND 21" is really only 20' long........ Luger got 21' by measuring around the curve of the gunwale! Pretty sneaky!!

I'd say 2 people could cruise in relative comfort on a boat this size, it will be a couple of steps above sleeping in a tent, and many couples have happily cruised in smaller boats. However, a lot depends on how the original owner built/finished the boat, these LUGER boats were all "kit boats" and were completed from bare hulls/decks by their owners.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Luger Industries had its beginnings with Orm Luger and his brother in Burnsville, MN. Orm, an older gentleman now, is still alive as far as I know and lives in Minnetonka, MN. They later (but long ago)sold their business to a fellow in Missouri. I don't think they have been in business for many years. They provided kit boats of both power and sail and some of the hull molds were used for both. The sailboat designs were as follows:
Zephyr 11 "multi-purpose mini-sailor" Model 1580 was a day sailor
Surfrider 12 Model 1200 was a surf board with a wishbone held mainsail (like a Windsurfer)
Sebreeze 16 Model 1670 had a swing keel and a small cabin
Leeward 16 Model 1690 was a hard-chined daysailor with a small open cuddy (like the O'Day DS)
Southwind 21 Model 2112 was the "basic" boat where you designed your own interior
Southwind 21 Model 2111 was an "Interior-included" model
Tradewinds 26 Model 2601 was a cabin boat where you designed and built your own interior
Tradewinds 26 Model 2602 was the "interior-included" model
Fairwinds 27 Model 2701 was the basic model with no interior
Fairwinds 27 Model 2702 was the 'Interior-included" model
Voyager 30 Model 3001 was a sloop-rigged basic model with no interior
Voyager 30 Model 3002 was a sloop rigged boat with the interior included
Voyager 30 Model 3003 was a ketch rigged basic boat with no interior
Voyager 30 Model 3004 was a ketch rigged interior included vessel.
That is all the sailboat designes that Luger provided. The rest are powerboats.

Status
Not open for further replies.