Lubricating outhaul car/track

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
What are you guys using to lubricate the car in the outhaul track at the top of the boom? Mine is a little bit crusty from aluminum oxidation. I was able to free up the stuck car with some WD-40 but i need a longer term solution. I have lithium bearing grease but it seems like a dirt trap waiting to happen. Wondering what thin lube might be long lasting but not too messy?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Any lube will just attract dirt and salt. Give the track a good cleaning and maybe a little light wax. Remove the car and clean the grooves, maybe a little McLube in the grooves.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Soapy water is the best thing to clean it up. If it’s a ball bearing car you don’t want it too greasy, partially because of the dirt issues Dave mentioned, but also because the balls might just slip instead of rolling, making flat spots. McLube makes a product called OneDrop that they say gives a little bit of lubrication without being too slippery or sticky. WD-40 is ok for preventing corrosion or helping break free existing corrosion, but is surprisingly poor as a long term lubricant.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Or switch to a clew strap and ditch the car. That is what I have on on two boats. But it depends.

You don't use a car when you are reefed.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Thanks for replies. I need to take the sail off for mast/boom maintenance so will give the track a good soapy cleaning when its off and see if i can figure out how to get the car out to clean and lube that track. Will give McLube a try.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Disassemble, clean, and Mclube the turning block sheave and pin at the back of the mast as well. There's likely another one or two turning blocks in the boom as the outhaul line works it way aft. Inspect the sheaves, maybe add nylon washers to reduce friction and stabilize sheaves. Some manufacturers use plastic sheaves which don't last. Production boat booms can have low quality components that benefit from upgrading.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Disassemble, clean, and Mclube the turning block sheave and pin at the back of the mast as well. There's likely another one or two turning blocks in the boom as the outhaul line works it way aft. Inspect the sheaves, maybe add nylon washers to reduce friction and stabilize sheaves. Some manufacturers use plastic sheaves which don't last. Production boat booms can have low quality components that benefit from upgrading.
Thanks. Yeah my boom had plastic sheaves. They look like they are frozen.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Note that McLube makes several products. "OneDrop" is for ball bearings and things that roll. "SailKote" is for things that slide. Dry Teflon spray is also commonly used. I find that SailKote is much more slippery than dry Teflon, but doesn't last as long. I've not tried OneDrop yet.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Note that McLube makes several products. "OneDrop" is for ball bearings and things that roll. "SailKote" is for things that slide. Dry Teflon spray is also commonly used. I find that SailKote is much more slippery than dry Teflon, but doesn't last as long. I've not tried OneDrop yet.
Thanks for that. I was wondering about that. I noticed Fisheries has both so ill get them both. My sail track needs attention also.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
SailKote does glorius things for my sail track. I pop the halyard and the main collapses into the lazy jacks slick as you please. No intervention required. For about a month. At 6 weeks it's OK, but needs a nudge to come down all the way. At 8 weeks it's needs a new treatment for sure.