lubricating an outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2011
1974 Macgregor 22 SoCal - dry storage
doing some maintenance on my 2003 6hp 4 stroke tohatsu.

I already did these items.
1. have impeller changed
2. changed engine oil
3. changed gear oil
will lub the prop shaft tomorrow, what kind of oil/grease to use?

another question. how do I lub the turning parts shown in the attached picture and what kind of grease should I use? what's the best way to clean up the old grease before applying the new? thanks.

Attachments

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
there should be a grease fitting or sometimes called a "zerek". You will need a grease gun, most auto parts stores has some inexpensive ones as do the big chain stores (sears wal-mart etc) Most auto parts and the big chain stores also sell a "marine grease" as well but truth be told any heavy grease will work. One time expense to purchase of less then $30 bucks but if that is all you are going to use it for will last you forever. Maybe a a boating pal if they have one you can borrow. It won't use but five cents worth of grease to lubricate it. As far cleaning just grease until new grease come out and wipe off with a rag.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Petersea is right on. I think I see the two Zerks in the picture.. the upper is to the left of the arrow on the fitting just below the joint where the grease is now.. the lower is to the left of the arrow and up just a scoche. Lithium or polymer based marine grease is the right stuff.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Status
Not open for further replies.