Lubricate plastic through hull valves.

Jan 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Toronto
Hi fellow Catalina owners, does anyone know how you lubricate the plastic through hull valves, I have been told that dw40 destroys plastic. Is there a product that is safe on plastic and how do you service a valve. Thanks all and I hope you are enjoying your summer.

Keep on boating, George.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe any waterproof grease will work. I've been using the same grease for the Jabsco pump handle and through hulls. The spray can has a straw to reach up from the outside during commissioning.

High-Performance Lithium-Thickened Grease
Additives improve performance in severe operating conditions.
DuPont Teflon®—Teflon® fluoropolymers give these white greases nonstick and chemical-resistant properties. They are also corrosion resistant. Aerosol has a male stem.
l
Pkg.DuPont Teflon® (-10° to 350° F)

14-oz. Aerosol 268708T11 $8.82

McMaster Carr

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe any waterproof grease will work. I've been using the same grease for the Jabsco pump handle and through hulls. The spray can has a straw to reach up from the outside during commissioning.

High-Performance Lithium-Thickened Grease
Additives improve performance in severe operating conditions.
DuPont Teflon®—Teflon® fluoropolymers give these white greases nonstick and chemical-resistant properties. They are also corrosion resistant. Aerosol has a male stem.
l
Pkg.DuPont Teflon® (-10° to 350° F)

14-oz. Aerosol 268708T11 $8.82

McMaster Carr
Hmm, that's a good question I know there is a lot about the marelube being specifically designed for this purpose. The original manual that came with my boat says not to lube the through hull valves. But someone, I would guess Maine Sail because he usually points this stuff out for me, pointed out that sometime between 2001 and 2012 the manufacture changed that recommendation. They were recommending the marelube.

I haven't looked to closely at what it's made of. I did use it to lube my head last year and it worked for the year. It needs to be lube again. So maybe I will try the stuff you recommended this year.

Jesse

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Forespar

Forespar makes the valves for our boats (at least most of us) and I recall seeing an injector they made specifically for our thru hull valves. Might be the companion to the Marelube.