Lowering + positioning of the mast with crutch - Beneteau First 285

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau First 285 Sneek
Hi guys,

We became the proud owners of a Beneteau First 285 this summer and had great fun with it already. Now we are getting ready for the winter period.
One of the things to do is to lower the mast (we use a crane for this) and put the mast on the boat. We have a special wintertent, BUT we do not have a crutch. The previous owner simply doesn't have it (anymore)..

Can anyone of the BF 285 owners tell me IF there is a crutch needed to put the mast to rest on the boat and if so: how does the crutch look like. A photo would be great and otherwise dimensions maybe too, so we can make one ourselves. And on the front site the mast lays on the fence?

Thanks in advance,

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Looking at images of the beneteau F285, It looks like any mast support for trailering or storage is left to the owners. A keel boat like that isn't generally intended to be hauled regularly.
Here's a couple of pictures I found on the Internet that might help.

Good luck

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
For a winter cover support, I wouldn’t rely on the bow pulpit and the stern pushpit railing to support the mast especially if you are in snow country. (That’s my personal opinion). I have used A-frame made of 2x4s, one set on the cockpit floor and one on the foredeck.