Lower shroud rigging breaking

Dec 2, 2014
hunter 23 atwood
On my 1987 Hunter 23 , my lower shroud cable has 1 broken strand, is there a way to repair this, or if I have to replace it ,it looks like I have to drill the original rivet out the mast, but then how do you replace the rivet that holds the eggshell or tang into the mast. I'm sorry to sound stupid but not sure what you call the shroud connector that connects the shroud to the mast. Thanks

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Can't be repaired.. it is a "swage stemball fitting" and is sized to the wire and the cup it fits in.. It got a kink in the wire right at the fitting end.. that is what broke it, usually happens when raising the mast .. Not sure, but I think that once the rivet is out the cup fitting can be turned and coaxed out of the hole.. Crazy Dave may have more info.. also check RigRite.com
The guys here on the forum store are great at finding that stuff.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Use a smaller drill bit and then punch it out to the inside and remove the egg shell tang. Take off the turnbuckle body and the cable will slide out the the hole. Even one broken strand, REPLACE THE SHROUD AND IT WIL BE LESS COSTLY TO ORDER THAT WITHOU A NEW TURNBUCKLE BODY. You can measure the cable but best advice put it in a box and send it. The forum store can replace but also can Seco South in Tampa, FL who made it original. Then reinstall using same size rivit thus why I suggested drilling out with a smaller bit

Dec 2, 2014
hunter 23 atwood
Thanks Gentleman, I have never had the pleasure of working any rivets in or out yet, that is my concern. I'll keep you posted

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Right! First time with a new technology is always unnerving. So, get a small drill bit and drill out the little dot in the middle of the rivet...

1586439616657.png

Usually the rivet will just fall off but if it does not, some gentle prying with the blade of a flat-head screwdriver or the edge of a pocket knife will lift the rivet out.

When it is time to put it back in, you will want to go to Lowes or Home Depot or Harbor Freight etc. and get one of these...

1586439932262.png

I have this exact same model. Got it at Lowes. It works great. You will also need some rivets. Since your mast is aluminum, I'd recommend getting aluminum rivets and not stainless or brass.
1586440001738.png

You stick the skinny end of the rivet in the tip of the rivet gun where I have the red arrow... the fat end goes in the hole in your mast where you removed the old rivet. Now just squeeze the handle a few times until the stem you stuck into the gun breaks off. The gun pulls on that stem and as the stem pulls upwards, the part that is inserted into the mast expands and creates a "dam" behind the aluminum wall of the mast. That holds the rivet in place. Sometimes the rivet activates but the stem does not break off. If that happens you can just bend it back and forth until it breaks off. If you are still unsure, find a youtube video and watch one being done. Once you see it, you won't be worried about using a riveter. They are really nice to have and you find all sorts of things to fix with them once you have one in your took kit.

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Riggers generally say it's a good idea to replace the opposite side shroud as well. Your broken one and the other one are the same age ! A bit more costly but then also safer as you've got a balanced rig. Good luck

Dec 2, 2014
hunter 23 atwood
Riggers generally say it's a good idea to replace the opposite side shroud as well. Your broken one and the other one are the same age ! A bit more costly but then also safer as you've got a balanced rig. Good luck
Yes your right ,I already decided to replace all the rigging. I like to push 30 sometimes 35 or more degrees and have the most fun when everything comes off the shelves down below. Thanks

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You actually go faster at a heel of 12-14 degrees depending on condition of sails and tune. Of course new sails help. Having sold many wing keel 23’s and raced them, I would warn you heelin 30-35 degrees is dangerous and I would never go out with anyone saying that.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Crazy Dave is absolutely right. It's a matter of physics: heeling to 12-15 degrees actually increases the water line and hence increases the speed. There is a point on any boat where not only do you actually slow the boat by being heeled too much but it actually can become dangerous!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@rgranger

The Boat in picture is really heeled over. Once when introducing a new Beneteau, the sailor fro hell wanted to heel to the max with new wife on board. She was so frightened that she started to cry was about the same time I had enough that I reduced Sail and took over the helm. It was pretty bad and the wife was visibly shaking still crying. I gave that idiot a good butt chewing that I would never sell him a boat. Yelling at him I told him he should profusely apologize to his wife and if she decided to divorce him , it would serve him right. Years later at a boat show, he came to my booth apologizing for that stunt. Same wife and two beautiful children. She gave me a hug thanking me for that day I chewed his butt out. He took my advice that day and their marriage was very much solid.

To seriously heel over not only is dangerous but scaring those whom the skipper likes or more important those whom he loves, will stop sailing with him. Safety is first in my books and that is important to me while having fun

Dec 2, 2014
hunter 23 atwood
This is why I like talking with you Gents, it is always a learning experience for me. I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge about sailing and the tips you give. I will become a better sailor because of it. Thanks again

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
You actually go faster at a heel of 12-14 degrees depending on condition of sails and tune. Of course new sails help. Having sold many wing keel 23’s and raced them, I would warn you heelin 30-35 degrees is dangerous and I would never go out with anyone saying that.
How about the swing keel 23.5s? 12-14 degrees also or something else?
(My other boat is a scow, I keep the rail wet.)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How about the swing keel 23.5s? 12-14 degrees also or something else?
(My other boat is a scow, I keep the rail wet.)
I think 14 degrees on something like an A-Scow will put the rail in the water. Wide hull, low freeboard, several crew hiking out on a good windy day.

Keep in mind, if you have three crew hiked out to windward and she's still heeling 14 degrees, that's like having six guys on board plus the heeling force. The wind has to counter the three guys hiking with an equal counter force, plus the force to heel 14 degrees. This is downward force the equal of nearly six extra crew. That will put your rail in the water. It will feel like lots of heel.

-Will (Dragonfly)