Lower oil install merc 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
Hello I have a 2005 merc 3.3 outboard. I drained lower oil but it is seemingly impossible to refill thru the upper oil level screw am I missing something??

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Do you have one screw hole in the lower unit or two? I seem to remember having to fill through the lower bigger hole with the upper screw out, too.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Don't turn it upside down.

Get a squeeze tube of gear oil. Stick it in the lower hole and squeeze until oil comes out the top hole. Put the top screw in then take the tube out of the lower hole and insert that screw. Kind of counter intuitive but it works.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It's like putting you finger on the top of a straw to keep the liquid in. Put the squeeze on the tube to keep a little oil coming out the top screw hole. Keep it that way as you put the top screw in. Move the tube away and quickly put the lower screw in.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yup, that's why I asked if it had two holes. That's what I used to do with our old Mercury 7.5.

Aug 10, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 393 Deale MD
Yes, you are supposed to fill from the bottom hole, with the top screw out, then when the oil flows from the top hole, replace the top screw. Then you can remove the oil bottle and reinsert the bottom screw. The 9.9 hp engines (2 stroke) work this way and my manual covers the 3.3 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.