Low Oil Pressure Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2007
Catalina 310 Port Credit, Ontario
Hi Folks Yesterday evening after a day of sailing as I was 3-4 boats lengths from my dock the "Low Oil Pressure Alarm" sounded. I shut off the engine and coasted into my dock. I checked the oil level (as I do before every sail) and it was fine. I looked thru the manual but could not find anything in the troubleshooting section. This morning I went down to start the engine and the alarm is still on and oil level still fine. I also phoned a mechanic but he said he could not look at it for at least 1.5 weeks. Has anyone had this happen? Is there anything I should be looking at as the possible cause of the alarm going off? Does anyone living in Southern Ontario know of a marine diesel mechanic? Any advice would be much appreciated.. Thanks very much in advance Val

G

Gary Malcolmson

Val, Had the same experience and it got the heart beating when it happened. And when it happened was in a crowded waterway - just when you don't want to loose power. This is very likely due to a broken or disconnected wire at the oil pressure sending switch. This switch is located on the port side of the engine kind of down low and towards the rear of the engine. Mine did the same thing and the switch needed to be replaced (the wire terminal had broken off). You basically unhook the wires and unscrew the sender (but that is easiest done with a special socket-see your local auto parts store). Screw in the new one and re-connect the wires. I then wire-tied the harness going to this switch in a manner that took the stress off the connectors. From the factory, the weight of the harness stresses the connectors and the vibration is enough to break them. Haven't had a problem since. I purchased the replacement here: http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/index.php?mfc=&p=numberresults&pn=37323&storetype=mdd&x=0&y=0 Good Luck and let us know if this was the problem. Regards, Gary Malcolmson 2003 C310 #230 "Rhythm"

Jyates

Jun 5, 2007
Catalina 350 Long Beach, CA
I had a similar problem with my 05 Cat 350, but the alarm on the pedestal was the problem. The piece from Universal was $15 and a quick fix.

K

Keith

I have had this happen twice. Once in 2003 and once in 2004. My mechanic blamed engine vibration. He took care the last time to cover and isolate the wiring and so far I haven't had it happen again.

Jan 29, 2007
Catalina 310 Port Credit, Ontario
Found the problem...

I have found the source of the problem (being a bit of a contortionist helps greatly) and it was exactly as Gary said. The connector to switch broke off cleanly! That alarm going off sure makes the heart skip a beat or two!! Thanks guys for all your help, it was greatly appreciated. Val

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Common problem

I've heard of a number of these oil pressure sensors that have had the terminal break off, including the one on my boat a couple of years ago. I don't know if it was a bad batch, or a design flaw, but I think they should be a little more robust. Gary's post was perfect! That's why I didn't reply to your question after I read it the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.