Lost tools Beneteau 373

JHorr

Oct 9, 2019
Beneteau 373 New Bern
Has anyone ever lost tools while working on through hull valves or hoses under the head sink compartment on a Beneteau 373? When something gets dropped, it rolls into no man's land under the bathroom floor. Any ideas how to access that area? Thanks John

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I've had some success with a magnet on a stick type tool. Even that can be very frustrating. I'm slowly learning to put a cloth down to catch things (I remember about 1/2 the time)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A way to shorten the time needed. you can watch while you fish them out.. The camera is useful for other things as well.. looking into tanks, for instance.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Magnet(s) on a string?
magnets won’t work if the tools are stainless steel...
If you have the harbor freight cheapies you can write the tools off as added ballast, and just go buy more. You realize, however, that the only tools you lose are your very favorites or the really specialized pieces.

Jan 21, 2019
Beneteau 38-2 St Pete Beach
Sometimes a stiff wire (electrical single wire or larger 3 wire romex cable) bent into a hook can drag lost items out from under.
Sticky tape (metal tape for sealing home duct work is very sticky) on the end of a wire has worked.
Put the rail in the water on a fast port or starboard tack or sail straight into an inlet with large steep waves that pitches the boat fore and aft and find lost items 'out from under' waiting to be grabbed up, pouring some water into the space on an even keel may facilitate washing items 'out from under' when the deck is tilted.

Jan 21, 2019
Beneteau 38-2 St Pete Beach
A shop vac has worked, depending on what is being fished for. An appropriate length and diameter of flexible hose duct taped into the vac hose can extend your reach into lots of small spaces.