Loss of Power

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
We have arranged for a diver, but will require going out and anchoring because our marina prohibits divers.
Some friend or family member must have a GoPro or similar camera that you at least could have a sneak preview of the bottom.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A year in the water w/no monthly/bi-monthly hull cleaning service? Do you actually expect a dive inspection to find something other than prop fouling to account for the symptoms?:doh: It does not take much marine growth to cause the propeller to lose thrust. Even a small build-up of acorn barnacles where the blades attach can have effect.

Only $90 (flat rate?) to haul & pressure wash, with time to inspect/clean in MD. I’d do this yearly if the shipyard near me offered it at that price, esp. if no SCUBA cleaning was permitted. Is that offered at the OP’s marina in MD? Just as a matter of principle that should precede an on-the-water seasonal shakedown. How do you normally service the bottom? How long can the boat normally sit idle without prop fouling? Diver rate-quotes usually depend on the time based on MONTHS since last cleaning.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I live pretty close to my boat (about 15 to 20 minutes one way) and try to get to the boat in the summer at least once a week even if I can't go sailing to spin the prop when on the mooring to keep the prop from fouling too much. Seems to work. I still have the hull and prop cleaned every 4 to 6 weeks. @kappykaplan I am surprised you could even get to the haul out location. From the limited "clear" spot withot fouling on the hub it doesn't look like the maxprop (I think that is what it is) was even able to get to a position for full thrust! In our currents, I'd probably be unable to go against the current. The one time my prop was badly fouled, I could barely make 2 knots against the current and the engine temp was much higher than normal when I finally was able to get the 400 yards or so I had to travel to get to the dock :yikes:.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
@smokey73 , it is indeed a MaxProp! I could make a whopping two knots forward under power. In reverse, it pretty much took a full circle to port from prop walk (crazy Ivan) to get enough sternway for the rudder to bite. Engine temp was normal throughout. I'm so happy to have a clean prop and shaft now.

Mar 29, 2005
Hunter 41 Aft Cockpit Herring Bay, MD
A year in the water w/no monthly/bi-monthly hull cleaning service? Do you actually expect a dive inspection to find something other than prop fouling to account for the symptoms?:doh: It does not take much marine growth to cause the propeller to lose thrust. Even a small build-up of acorn barnacles where the blades attach can have effect.

Only $90 (flat rate?) to haul & pressure wash, with time to inspect/clean in MD. I’d do this yearly if the shipyard near me offered it at that price, esp. if no SCUBA cleaning was permitted. Is that offered at the OP’s marina in MD? Just as a matter of principle that should precede an on-the-water seasonal shakedown. How do you normally service the bottom? How long can the boat normally sit idle without prop fouling? Diver rate-quotes usually depend on the time based on MONTHS since last cleaning.
You inquire about my expectations. Perhaps they are different from yours based on geography and my past experience.

Mar 29, 2005
Hunter 41 Aft Cockpit Herring Bay, MD
Shakedown cruise yesterday after a year in the slip. Bottom paint was applied a year ago, which usually lasts for two seasons. Pulled out of the slip but was only able to reach 3.2 kts. @ 2200 rpm. (56 hp Yanmar and usually can cruise at 5.0 kts @ 2200 rpm) Continued to open area, and after 45 minutes or so was able to increase speed to 4.1 kts @ much higher rpm (3100 rpm). Even with boat pointed downwind in 15 kt wind, I was only able to see a 0.1 kt increase in speed. The loss of power occurred throughout the full rpm range. Also no black smoke. I went below to visually examine the spinning of the propeller shaft. All seemed normal for the rpm. I strongly suspect the loss of power is being caused by an unusually large buildup of crud (barnacles etc) on the hull and propeller. My question is whether anything else might be going on before I go to the expense of a short haul and powerspray.
PROBLEM SOLVED. DIVER CLEANED BOTTOM 07/07/2020. QUICK TEST AFTER CLEANING PRODUCED 7.1 KTS AT 3,100 RPM.