Loose Throttle Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2012
Catalina 30 Steppingstone, NY
Hi all-

I have a 1980 Catalina with a 5411 which runs well.

The throttle control at the center console helm (red lever on the right of the console) works normally but tends to slowly ease back to it's upright position thereby delivering less fuel to the engine. Is there a simple solution to this problem? I already scanned the Universal manual and have not seen a solution offered although I can easily locate the throttle valve on the engine to which the cable attaches.

Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Fix it properly inside the binnacle underneath the compass. www.edsonmarine.com throttle friction screw

You should also replace those plastic handles, they tend to break at the most inconvenient moment. The s/s ones are pricey, but worth it.

Jan 13, 2012
Anything I should be mindful of before opening up that pedestal? I would like a schematic but I don't know what pedestal it is. Would a picture help?

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2012
Thanks Tim,
Where specifically did you install the clamp? In the pedestal?
Thanks,
Alex

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
You should also replace those plastic handles, they tend to break at the most inconvenient moment. The s/s ones are pricey, but worth it.

so, so true.......... ours broke within 2 weeks of purchasing the boat( it was 18 years old) just as we put it into reverse leaving a slip with a crowd watching.. they got an eyeful......:cry:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Throttle Friction Squeezer

As Stu said, the screw under the compass is the correct way, I think.. Mark the compass and mounting collars so that the compass is lined up when it goes back in.. you can put a squeezer on anywhere the cable is accessible , Here is a picture of one installed close to the engine.. back behind the cable clamp

Attachments

Sep 27, 2012
Unknown Manufacturer 24 Lake Saint Louis
Thanks Tim,
Where specifically did you install the clamp? In the pedestal?
Thanks,
Alex
I would first agree that if you can repair your existing throttle, that would be a better option. This is a band-aid repair that I have used when dealing with older boats when parts were NLA to rebuild the throttle controll.

You can install these clamps anywhere on the cable but I would place it somewhere that it would be easy to get to in case you need to adjust on the fly.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not bad for a 30 year old control lever. The simplest solution is a wedge. Get a piece of cardboard, fold it a couple of times and then cover it with tape while attaching a string to keep it handy. Velcro might help to keep it in place. Inexpensive with hardly no effort to install and it may surprise you how easily you may get use to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.