loose strut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john knowles

After trying to knock out the cutlass bearing with a chisel, I now have loostened the shaft strut. It looks like a very difficult repair. I would love some tips on how to remove and replace strut. knowjo@blazenetme.net

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Hmm

John, Its tough to tell what's up without some more information. Did the strut loosen as a unit so that it moves relative to the boat? Or is the strut itself broken? I'd really want to get an expert to look at this for you, especially as if its repaired incorrectly you may have problems with the shaft. Doesn't mean you can't do the repair yourself, but another person standing next to you might provide some insight. I see you're posting is from Bath. Is that where the boat is? Justin - O'day Owners' Web

M

mark stevens

Professional job

Having just replaced the cutlass bearing on my Oday 30 I can appreciate your dilema. I was tempted also to try to knock the bearing out but was advised by a professional to use a sawsall and cut it in 2 places to facilitate the removale and it worked. I had looked into removing the strut first and decided after close examination that it is ajob beyond my skills and requires quite a bit of work. I would suggest Handy Boat works in Falmouth take a look for you and I believe they will give you an honest appraisal of the situation

C

CAPTAIN PAT

LOOSE STRUT FROM HEAVY POUNDING

YOU NEED TO DROP THE STRUT BY UNSCREWING IT BUT ITS NOT EASY TO DO . YOU SEE THE STRUT BOLTS ON MY 34ft ODAY ORE UNDER THE FUEL TANK MY SUGESTION IS TO CALL RUDY AT D&R AND GO FROM THERE IT A GOOD JOB FOR A GOOD BOAT YARD OR EVEN A PLACE TO GET SOME IDEAS ON WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT . REMEMBER RULE #1 OF A GOOD SAILOR LOCAL KNOWLEDGE TALK TO THE PEOPLE WHO DO IT . THATS WHERE I ALWAYS START PAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.