Loose Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darcy Peck

The rudder in our 1999 Hunter 340 has substantial vertical & lateral play. It appears the lower bearing is loose. Attempting to obtain repairs through my dealer. Has anyone had a similar problem? I know the rudder has not struck anything to creat this problem.

E

Ed Schenck

New boat??

I'm guessing that no one has responded because we would expect Hunter to make it right on a 1999 model. The rudder on my 1979(right, 79) Hunter has absolutely zero play in it. If yours is that loose and you bought the boat new could it have happened in transit?

D

Darcy Peck

Dealer has checked with Hunter & they claim this is "normal" during cool weather & will tighten as the weather warms and the bearing expands. I am sceptical however will await the arrival of warm weather to either "eat crow" or proove them wrong.

D

Dakota Jim Russell

How Much Play?

It might be useful to give us an idea of the play. In your message you said "substantial vertical lateral play" which isn't quite clear. Which did you mean, vertical or lateral? Second, how much play is experienced at the bottom mend of the rudder? Answers to these questions may help us respond.

D

Darcy Peck

Clarify

Jim. The rudder bearing has approximately 1/8" to 3/16" vertical play. Also the rudder has 1/4" to 3/8" lateral (side to side)play measured at the bottom end. See my message regarding Hunter's explanation. As the rudder was not installed when the boat arrived for commissioning I don't know if any play was present when the rudder was installed. Will have to wait until warmer weather here in the north Canada) to ascertain if the explanation provided by Hunter is correct. Fortunately my dealer has now guaranteed me if there is a problem they will address it.

Status
Not open for further replies.