Loose Rudder Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Ericson 29 tall rig old orchard beach, maine
My Rudder Post has some vertical Play in my 1976 Ericson 29 Tall rig. Any one have any ideas or experience with what is the cause or the repair and what it entails. Or better yet do I even have to worry about it at all?

Apr 5, 2010
Ericson 30+ Cleveland
How much play? I don't think a little, like maybe an 1/8", or so, should be an issue. More would make me want to check fittings. Make sure you still have a spacer on the post between the rudder and hull.

Jan 22, 2008
I don't have a spacer between the rudder and the hull and that is the limit of the movement. What does that all mean?

Apr 5, 2010
Ericson 30+ Cleveland
You should have a washer-like spacer that slides over the rudder post and rests between the top of your rudder and the entry point of the hull. They're usually a plastic (therefore they tend to wear over time and break off). Look around the boat yard and you will see examples. The purpose (to my knowledge) is to keep the rudder from slamming against the hull which could create a variety of problems. Note: if you make/install one yourself, you need to be sure that you don't get it to big, or thick. The spacer should not impede turning radius (My first attempt proved this out). And yes, you have to drop the rudder to do this, so it's a two person job.

Jan 22, 2008
Cleveland,
any suggestions on how to drop the rudder and about what I can expect. Any cans of worms that will open up and jump out at me that will make this a much bigger job then I need right now? What about barings or other supports that might be worn and not available ? About how long a job is this?

Apr 5, 2010
Ericson 30+ Cleveland
Steven685, In short, I found it a pain in the ... Primarily because there's so little room to work. My advice, if you're in a yard and don't mind spending a few bucks, pay the man. If you're the DIY-type, in theory it's probably an hour-ish job with two folks. I will not tell you how long it took me. (I have a wheel, therefore the mechanisms with that require you to know how it comes apart so alignment is easier.) If you're a tiller, it's probably much easier... but that I've not seen.

Find a small adult, be sure to put some blocks under the rudder to relieve pressure as you unbolt, and pay close attention to how things come apart. BTW, I was down at my boat today, my spacer is probably no more than 1/8" thick and barely larger diameter hole than the shaft. Hope that helps. Good luck.

DAS

Jan 22, 2008
Sailordas,
I think that it will wait for an other winter. I have other more pressing issues with the boat. However, being the larger person that I am I will need to rethink the DIY mentality. thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.