Looking to buy S2 9.2a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requip

Apr 25, 2009
2 s2 9.2 Vancouver
Hello folks,

My first post and I was hoping someone may be able to help me buy my first S2 9.2a.

I've spent the last few hours reading many of the posts and I appreciate the information thats being offered here.

I am currently looking at three boats, one on the west coast (Seattle) and two others on the east coast. At the moment it appears that most of the selection of boats are on the eastern side of the country. I live in Vancouver, Canada so any east coast purchase would require me to ship the boat here via truck approximately $6K including commissioning

We have one boat for sale in Seattle and it is an early model 1977 with an upgraded engine. Asking price is $28K It looks like its in good shape but not as nice as two other boats I found in Chicago area and the other in N. Carolina. The one boat in NC is an 86 model with the bulkhead folding table, upsized engine and looks to be in great shape but very little options. Its priced at a remarkably reduced price of $18K for a fast sale. It states that it has had the Chain plates replaced which I understand to be a common problem with leaks and the stantion bases rebedded. The other S2 located in the Chicago area is a 1981 in fantastic conditon about 300 hours, one owner, fresh water boat with lots of extras including air cond but unfortunately has the 13 horsepower engine asking $27K

Both of the eastern boats look great from the pictures and I could always option out the cheaper boat in NC to my tastes and it has the prefered larger engine. The other has many more options but the smaller engine. I have not had either surveyed but wouild do so if I got to making an offer. The boat in Seattle looks very original and has the dark galley woodwork as opposed to the lighter melamine which I prefer.

What would you do assuming there's no major structural issues with any of them and or are you are aware of anyone on this forum that has a great boat that may be for sale?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Alan R

Last edited:

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Actually, the boats were built in Michigan and the highest concentration is likely on the Great Lakes. However, from what I have seen prices are comparatively high there due to popularity. There was a very nice one for sale in RI, but I think it sold. The other one on in RI listed on Yachtworld has the 1 cylinder, but it has been on the hard for years with the windows popped out (replaced, but improperly installed) and it in relatively poor condition. Another boat was listed on the Cape, but I looked at it and it has severe gelcoat blistering.

Any Seattle/Washington boat is probably your best bet. Six grand does a lot of repair work on a boat. The 1 and 2 cylinder Yanmars are 12-14hp. I posted a theoretical question on this site when I was comparing two S2's. The question was two 9.2A's, identical other than one has a 2 cyl and the other is $3K cheaper and has a 1 cyl. Which would you buy? Everyone said the 1 cyl engines vibrated like mad and would drive you nuts and to buy the 2 cyl. That being said, I did buy one with a 2 cyl and it is fine, but a boat with a newer 3 cyl would certainly be an improvement. I paid 20K for my boat last spring, if that helps you out, but it had a nearly brand new North main and a $1500 boom tent that was only a few seasons old.

Bulkheads did have to be repaired, but the rudder was solid. Watch out for the engine mounts. They often are poorly attached and break free. The aft traveler is a mixed blessing. It is handy for single handing, but you end up with an extremely long main sheet, due to the end boom arrangement, and having that much line in the cockpit can be a pain. It is also pretty easy to accidentially sit on the main sheet snapping it out of the cam cleats. Love the boat otherwise and would be happy to speak to you about it.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.