Looking to buy a Capri 22

Jun 9, 2024
Catalina 22 Capri Hudson, WI
Looking at a 2005 Capri 22 for sale online. Looks to be in good shape with a trailer, newer motor, and full complement of sails and equipment on board. They're asking $14k for it. I'm currently sailing a 1972 O'Day Mariner 19 which was my first sailboat. When I bought it eight years ago, I wasn't able to sail it before purchasing, but being only $2,000 for boat, trailer, motor, the risk was minimal. The boat I'm looking at now is on a trailer and sold "as-is", and it's a 6 hour drive away. Just wondering if it's crazy to buy a boat in this price range without trying it out first, or is that fairly common practice?

Thanks for any help on this!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you can arrange to sail it before buying it, that's always a plus. However, plenty of boats have been sold without having been sailed before purchase. The Capri 22 is a fairly well known boat, a careful pre-purchase inspection of boat and trailer would be wise. If you have a knowledgeable friend to help out, that would be a plus. Be prepared to walk away once you get there if the boat is not what it seems.

Capri 22 owners here can advise you on what to look for. With a 6 hour drive pay attention to the trailer bearings, tires, and brakes before you leave.

Jun 9, 2024
Thanks for the response! I'm going to put together a checklist for going over the boat and trailer.

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I am an owner of a 2022 Capri. I bought it new for various reasons, one being that I could afford it and I thought it would be nice to be the first owner and not buy a boat with the unknowns of its past. However, I feel like I should have just bought an older boat like you are thinking of doing. I would have saved a ton of money and I think these boats are simple enough to not have to worry to much about its past. I have only had the boat for one full summer so I am still learning about it myself. However I can tell you that I have really enjoyed it so far. I think you will be ok if you just look the boat over really well. Look around the hull, check the deck, feel for any soft spots. Take a deep look around the cabin, pull up the cushions and look into the compartments. You can see most of the inside of the hull on this boat and if you look really well you will be able to tell if any previous repairs have been done to the fiberglass. Try to look down the length of the mast, is it straight? How do the sails look? I do not think with this particular boat there are any specific quirks to try to search for, just a throughout and general look over should be fine. Also as @dlochner mentioned, ask about the condition of the tires and bearing on the trailer. I have had more trailer issues over the years then issues with my boats. My Capri has a wing keel and towing the boat has been fine.

Jun 9, 2024
Thanks much for your thoughts on this! The one I'm looking at has a wing keel as well which seems like a good compromise for non-competitive sailing on inland lakes. I'm going to make an offer today contingent on inspecting the boat in person.

Jun 21, 2024
Catalina CAPRI 22 Willow Point
I am an owner of a 2022 Capri. I bought it new for various reasons, one being that I could afford it and I thought it would be nice to be the first owner and not buy a boat with the unknowns of its past. However, I feel like I should have just bought an older boat like you are thinking of doing. I would have saved a ton of money and I think these boats are simple enough to not have to worry to much
Thanks much for your thoughts on this! The one I'm looking at has a wing keel as well which seems like a good compromise for non-competitive sailing on inland lakes. I'm going to make an offer today contingent on inspecting the boat in person.
about its past. I have only had the boat for one full summer so I am still learning about it myself. However I can tell you that I have really enjoyed it so far. I think you will be ok if you just look the boat over really well. Look around the hull, check the deck, feel for any soft spots. Take a deep look around the cabin, pull up the cushions and look into the compartments. You can see most of the inside of the hull on this boat and if you look really well you will be able to tell if any previous repairs have been done to the fiberglass. Try to look down the length of the mast, is it straight? How do the sails look? I do not think with this particular boat there are any specific quirks to try to search for, just a throughout and general look over should be fine. Also as @dlochner mentioned, ask about the condition of the tires and bearing on the trailer. I have had more trailer issues over the years then issues with my boats. My Capri has a wing keel and towing the boat has been fine.

Jun 21, 2024
Hi I recently bought a Capri 22 1998. Wing keel. The boat had been sailed in the ocean for most of its time. I’m sailing it in fresh water and thought I can easily take of the below waterline paint and create a faster non aggressive paint (vc17). However that turns out to be a big job. Something to think about.
Go out and sail with the seller and get to know your boats secrets and check the sails.
And that you understand reefing system Cunningham outhaul etc and the electricals (most boats have owner inventions) you save a lot of time by having the owner demonstrate and you tape it for future developments.
Preferably you shoul be part of stepping up the mast and taking it down again. Mark all turnbuckles. (Starts you off in much situation for your fine tuning)
Good luck

Jun 9, 2024
Thanks for the additional tips! A 1999 Capri 22 just went up for sale only a 30 minute drive away from me so I'm going to take a look at that boat. Also it's in the water and ready to sail, a big plus. If I decide to purchase that one I'll post some photos.

Jun 21, 2024
I paid $ 10k of which trailer was 1k and the almost new Honda 5hp was valued 1k.
The sails are old and is the next investment approx 2.5k.
Good luck!

Jun 9, 2024
He's asking $12.5k, I'm thinking about offering about $10.5k and see what they say, depending on what kind of shape the trailer, motor, and sails etc. are in.

Jun 21, 2024
Sounds pretty much correct and you end up w a very easy boat to own and sail.
Be aware of the two rigs standard and tall.
Mine is a standard. The mast is 28 feet and tall is 30.
if you run into questions this site is full of knowledgeable 22 owners.