Looking for the wiring diagram of control panel for 1992 42 Hunter Passage?

Dec 8, 2021
Hunter 42 Passage New Bern
Anyone who has access to the diagram/schematic of a 1992 Hunter 42 Passage, in particular the control panel area?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Might have one on the boat, but some distance away. Do you have a specific electrical issue/question?

Dec 8, 2021
Hunter 42 Passage New Bern
Might have one on the boat, but some distance away. Do you have a specific electrical issue/question?
Have AC coming into boat and to the panel...but it stops there. None of the breakers will come on even though meter shows power to breaker. Maybe bad breaker on A/B breaker on upper right side of panel?

Dec 25, 2000
Maybe bad breaker on A/B breaker on upper right side of panel?
Could be. Did you check that the two circuit breakers located at the step where the shore power connects to the boat have not tripped? Also, a meter will confirm whether you have power on either side of the breaker to determine whether you have a defective panel breaker.

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Marcus, not the OP here, but that is the standard P42 power panel just like ours. One of the questions the OP had was on the far left and at the top of the panel there are two breakers that have a slide bar where you can select either source one or two. I've never found any difference between the two, but I believe they select either house battery one or two. These switches are connected to the DC analog voltmeter, the first meter on the left. You can use the knob between these switches and the DC voltmeter to select the various DC sources to determine voltage state. Number four on ours is idle. One and two show bank/battery one and two voltage state and number three shows starter battery voltage state.

The four meters on our boat still work quite well, left to right; DC volts, DC amps, AC amps, AC volts. When we purchased our boat in 2002 something had hit the DC amp meter pretty hard and fried the heat sink, so replaced it with a new one from Paneltronics, the original maker. I've made very few changes to the panel over the years, adding one or two new courtesy DC circuits to operate the GPS and DC convenience sockets.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Hey Terry,
I was reading this thread for the education. I am not the most experienced guy on here, and in my minds eye I could not for visualize what was being discussed. Being a visual learner I posted the picture just to make sure I was pondering on the correct thing.
Thank you for the explanation of we are discussing. Looking the sources below the meter switch, I think I understand Bus A, Generator and Bus B.
I am guessing the Generator light on Bus A is were it feeds in and it is locked out so you do not cross connect with shore power. .
The switch Parallel Bus A and Bus B will allow shore power to the HVAC.
My question would be what is the slide locking out on the B Bus in this configuration?
Sorry Pmack not trying to highjack your thread. Just trying to educate myself.

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Marcus, for those P42s equipped with dual heat pumps, like ours, it is set up for 60 amps of AC power. The shore power plug beneath the coaming step closest to the rail provides 30 amps to both A and B sides. That way only one 30 amp cord is needed to operate all systems on the boat. The other plug closest to the cockpit provides a second 30 amp cord for those who want 60 amps of power. This plug, as I recall, supplies power only to the heat pumps.

With both heat pumps running (25 amps), hot water heater (10 amps), microwave (10 amps), entertainment system (8 amps), misc. (5 amps), this beast can become quite the power hog. I've never used both cords. I manage power consumption to 30 amps, which works out quite well. That is also why Hunter equipped our boat with an 8KW Onan Genset for those who need power while away from shore. The slide that blocks your choice between shore power and Genset serves to protect against a power conflict.

Pity the electrical engineer who designed this sophisticated system, which works very well. Certainly away over my head. The wire work behind the main panel was done very professionally; clean, organized and well done.

Aug 19, 2021
Terry
It makes perfect sense now that it was explain. Thx a million.

Pmack, sorry again. I was not trying to take away from your thread and question.

Dec 25, 2000
I've made very few changes to the panel over the years, adding one or two new courtesy DC circuits to operate the GPS and DC convenience sockets.
These additions have made our P42 much more accommodating these days with all of our personal devices; cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc., etc., etc.. The original design had one 12v DC socket on the main breaker panel. Since then I have added one in the cockpit at the helm, two in the aft cabin, one in the main cabin and one in the forward cabin. All of these I connected to the cabin light switches fore and aft. A few pictures of these sockets here:

12v socket.jpg

The below location has a power device with dual USB ports.The device powers two computer speakers that I use while away from shore power to play music supplied by my iPod. Power consumption is a fraction of what the main 120v AC entertainments system consumes.
12v socket8.jpg

The 12v socket on the right is used for a spot light when needed, or a USB adapter to keep cell phones charged.
12v socket14.JPG

This socket is mounted on the cabinet next to the aft berth port side. The lighter also has a night light. The admiral uses this socket for a heating blanket that helps keep her warm at night. To the left is the control panel for the diesel forced air furnace.
12v socket19.JPG

The socket below is mounted on the bulkhead above the dressing table aft cabin. Connected to it is a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter, which is used to charge electric toothbrushes and operate our laptop. Power consumption is a fraction compared to using our main Freedom 25 inverter.
12v socket3.jpg

Aug 19, 2021
These additions have made our P42 much more accommodating these days with all of our personal devices; cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc., etc., etc.. The original design had one 12v DC socket on the main breaker panel. Since then I have added one in the cockpit at the helm, two in the aft cabin, one in the main cabin and one in the forward cabin. All of these I connected to the cabin light switches fore and aft.
Terry, that is well done.