Looking for the owner of a boat

Aug 25, 2019
Hunter None Yet North Texas Landlocked
OK, not sure if this'll get me anywhere, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the owner of a Hunter 430 called 'Tranquility' registered out of Pensacola and currently on charter with South Coast Sailing Adventures in Kemah (Houston), TX.

Anyway, if anyone might know who the owner is, I'd love to talk to them or at least find out if they saw the email I sent to the broker.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Assuming, yes, but I don't have a HIN to check... looking for the name and year hasn't yielded anything of value on the USCG PSIX search.

EDIT:
Found this on the USCG search as a year older than what it's being advertised as: HUN43162I596​
size fits:​
Service: Recreational​
Length: 42.10 ft​
Breadth: 14.30 ft​
Depth: 7.50 ft​
**Your search for contacts between the dates: 01/01/1995 and 07/23/2020 returned no data**

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Found this on the USCG search as a year older than what it's being advertised as: HUN43162I596​
size fits:​
Service: Recreational​
Length: 42.10 ft​
Breadth: 14.30 ft​
Depth: 7.50 ft​
**Your search for contacts between the dates: 01/01/1995 and 07/23/2020 returned no data**
Contact that owner of record to verify if it may be the same boat.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
There are good and bad brokers, but I have personal experience with a broker in a charter organization that was not sending any offers (on a stinkpotter) to the owner (that was trying to sell) because the boat was a major money maker for the charter operation (which the broker owned), and the boat owner would not agree to make it a condition of any sale that the boat stay in charter. I'm not saying that is happening here, but I agree that you should contact the owner of record for the boat you found in the USCG records.

How do you know the boat is out of Pensacola? Transom paint? Or FL registration number? If the latter, see if FL DMV can help. Registrations should be public record, though in FL, if the boat is USCG registered, I don't think state registration is required.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why don't you go to her office and ask her face to face to present your offer or tell you why not. She may have a net listing where her fee is based on a fixed price by the owner... she keeping anything over that. She is not obligated to present any offers unless she has an exclusive right to sell.. and even then the owner might have stipulated he doesn't want to see any lowball offers. Heck... she could have called the owner about the offer and was told to stuff it. The point is... you'll never know unless you confront her... in a kind way, of course. But let her tell you before you waste anymore time.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
For HUN43162I596 it was last registered in Florida. USCG COD is valid till 12/31/2020.

Florida# 43162
You can take it from here.
Jim...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Just so you know, FL#43162 is likely not a Florida registration number. It is missing two alpha characters at the end, and all the reg numbers I see are 4 digits. Also, the odds are hugely against a FL registration number matching the first five numerics in the HIN number.

I agree with the post above, go talk to the broker if you are local. The answer she gives you and how she conveys it are additional data that can be transmitted to the owner if you find him or her.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Just did some quick Google sleuthing. I presume you're talking to Lucy Newman at Murray Yacht Sales? The boat appears to have also been listed with another broker - and is still listed on their site. There's a male broker listed there with a phone number. Maybe give it a shot?

Aug 25, 2019
Just did some quick Google sleuthing. I presume you're talking to Lucy Newman at Murray Yacht Sales? The boat appears to have also been listed with another broker - and is still listed on their site. There's a male broker listed there with a phone number. Maybe give it a shot?

just called him; he’s unfamiliar with this boat and was confused as to how it ended up on his site ‍. But he was WAY more professional and helpful than the other broker. Would use him if I could!

Aug 25, 2019
Well, I called the broker for this (note, she didn't contact me...) and she stated that the owners have taken the boat off the market. Got the feeling that my offer was either not discussed / the broker didn't mention that I'd like to talk with the owner to negotiate something workable for us both.

Anyway, would still love to find the owners and have a discussion with them about it in case someone knows who they are.

Best of luck y'all.

Edit: Haven't had any luck yet finding contact info through HIN that I have (it's in a post above). Anyone ever paid the $25 for the Abstract of Title from the USCG? Not sure if that's what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

icanto

Oct 14, 2019
Hunter 410 New Orleans
Well, I called the broker for this (note, she didn't contact me...) and she stated that the owners have taken the boat off the market. Got the feeling that my offer was either not discussed / the broker didn't mention that I'd like to talk with the owner to negotiate something workable for us both.

Anyway, would still love to find the owners and have a discussion with them about it in case someone knows who they are.

Best of luck y'all.

Edit: Haven't had any luck yet finding contact info through HIN that I have (it's in a post above). Anyone ever paid the $25 for the Abstract of Title from the USCG? Not sure if that's what I'm looking for.
Have you purchased a Hunter yet?