Looking for source for used roller furling and jib.

Jun 22, 2024
Catalina 22 Swing Keel Whiskeytown Lake, CA
My saliing guru insists that I need to convert my C22 to a roller furled jib. Am looking for source of good used or relatively inexpensive good new components.
Thanks!
Rocj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There are marine salvage yards. But I don't know of any outside of Florida and the NE. Maybe a local sailmaker or rigger could direct you to one.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
There's nothing "wrong" with having a hank-on jib or genoa. People have been using them for a (really) long time.

Things to consider -- do you trailer a lot, or is the boat usually in the water. It's more work to setup a furler if you're dropping the mast a lot. What's the condition of your current head-sail? If it still has a lot of life in it, you may want to wait until you're ready to replace / upgrade. Though you could always have your current head-sail re-worked for furling. But it's an added expense.

Then again, having a furling head-sail does improve the quality of life on the boat. It's a lot easier to furl some in / let some out than it is to go to the bow for a sail change.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
There's nothing "wrong" with having a hank-on jib or genoa. People have been using them for a (really) long time.

Things to consider -- do you trailer a lot, or is the boat usually in the water. It's more work to setup a furler if you're dropping the mast a lot. What's the condition of your current head-sail? If it still has a lot of life in it, you may want to wait until you're ready to replace / upgrade. Though you could always have your current head-sail re-worked for furling. But it's an added expense.

Then again, having a furling head-sail does improve the quality of life on the boat. It's a lot easier to furl some in / let some out than it is to go to the bow for a sail change.
ShawnL is spot on. Ive had both the CDI FF2 furling setup and hank on. If its trailered a lot hank on is the way to go. IF you do go furler, check out the FF2. I had a 135 on mine and switched down to a 110.Worked great.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Rigging an inexpensive "jib downhaul" will solve most of the issues that make one thinks they need roller furling. A couple of small blocks and a simple cleat to manage the 1/8" or 5/32" control line will do the trick. The line must be long enough to reach from the top of the hoisted headsail, down to the stem and back to the cockpit, where it can be cleated conveniently near the helm. Adding this kit to your rig will be game changer since you won;t have to go forward to get the jib down. Steering with the tiller between your knees, you'll be able to control the drop, upwind or downwind, so the sail will finish in a neat pile on the foredeck. Once down, cleating the downhaul secures the sail on deck.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
so the sail will finish in a neat pile on the foredeck.
Joe's right. Another trick is to sail on port tack then heave to. The boat stabilizes and the wind is from the starboard bow, which pushes the jib to the port side but it's backwinded, right above the deck. Because of that when you drop the sail, the hanks are in the right position to essentially fold the sail perfectly. Look at how the hanks are made, positioned and installed, and you'll understand.

I sailed my C22 (1983-7) and my C25 (1987-98) with hank ons and jib downhauls, worked great.

All you really need on a C22 is a 110 - it will cover a much larger band of TWS than almost any other sail; 135 too big, too heavy in light air; anything smaller a non starter.

Good luck.

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Things to consider, a new CDI is about $700, you will give up some pointing ability the larger the headsail you have, the more you will give up and the less shape when reefed. Also note that to have your sail converted with 6mm feed cord is about $4 a foot.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
another option would be a small boat harken furler. You can't reef the jib but you can open fully and close it up from the cockpit. Probably the cheapest furler option unless you do a homemade deal.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's been some time since the last storm supplied those kinds of used boat parts, but with luck, for you, obviously not so much for the seller, perhaps there will be a few available after the hurricane season.