Looking for my Hull Number

Jan 29, 2020
Cal Cal 20 Austin, TX
I recently purchased a Cal 20. Title says it is a 1968 model and the Hull number on the title is not the original number, but one generated by the state at some point in the past. I am trying to find that actual number of this boat. I'm not even sure if the year is correct on the title. There is no plate on the transom with identifying information. Can I get any advice on how to find this number?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO, RonMick. It is great to be able to be the first to extend a greeting. There are a lot of Cal 22 owners here who will be more than happy to share their considerable expertise. Unfortunately, I am not one. However, I believe the federal law requiring a HIN permanently printed on the stern on all production boats didn't come into effect until 1972. Your new purchase likely has it printed on a bulkhead somewhere. It may be embossed in the gelcoat or on a metal plaque. Check on the cabin bulkhead under the companionway, beneath the rubrail towards the stern, even the inside of the transom or on the centerboard trunk.

Hope you have good luck and I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you exactly where to find it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 10, 2020
Cal 20 Severn River
Hi Ron, I have a '68 Cal 20 as well with Hull Number #1223. So I'd assume yours would be in that range.