Looking for marine mechanic schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2009
Hunter 27 Sparrows Point
My boy just graduated high school, and is interested in a career in Marine Engine Mechanics. We're well aware of what UTI has to offer, but were wondering if there's a technical equivalent in the Mid-Atlantic region.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I think that there is a Marine Mechanics Institute....MMI but it is based in FL. Not sure if they have exactly what you are looking for though.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
MMI and UTI are one in the same I believe. My son went to MMI in Orlando, enjoyed it, did well, and learned a lot. He carries the knowledge with him to this day, but does not earn his livelyhood in the trade. He still does work on his own equipment, and that of friends, but prefers not to work on equipment that suffers from overt abuse.
MMI was known as both Marine Mechanics Institute and Motorcycle Mechanics Institute.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Suggest that he join the coast guard and apply for mechanics school.

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
I steer people away from UTI. I was an auto tech instructor for 8 years and what I found is they run up the kids debt load and provide only a basic education that is no better than what you'll find local with state run tech colleges for a lot less!

I suggest a local tech college with a marine program, I know of one in Georgia if your interested.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I was enrolled in two Air Force technical schools. The first was for metals processing ( welding, heat treating, forging) the second was ground radio repair. Each school was six hours per day five days a week. Metals processing was six months and radio repair was eight months. That is a great many more classroom hours than you get in a commercial tech program. More over I was paid a reseasonable living while I attended school. After a reasonable time in the field you can apply for and get advanced training and specialized courses. It all comes with room, board and a health care plan that is better than what congress has.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The landing school in Maine is one of the best but it goes well beyond just engine repairs. There are LOTS of engine mechanics out there but very few who can do other systems well. He might consider a school like the Landing School here in Maine...

The Landing School

Jun 21, 2009
Hunter 27 Sparrows Point
All great suggestions, mates. Please keep them coming, thanks.
Ross - He's exploring the USCG, but I've learned recently that the skill sets one learns from military service don't garnish a certificate on the outside.
Direct on MMI is part of UTI. And also direct that UTI is in business to make money.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Ross - He's exploring the USCG, but I've learned recently that the skill sets one learns from military service don't garnish a certificate on the outside.
Direct on MMI is part of UTI. And also direct that UTI is in business to make money.

IMHO.... I would rather have one person with good solid experience than three people with certificates.....:D
certificates are easy to come by and can actually be purchased, but experience, although it can be expensive, it cant be bought at any price....it has to be earned.

and a point about the air force and the coast guard.... either one is more than a training school.... way more in every single respect. its training, its a paying job with great benefits, it can become a way of life filled with adventure, and when its time to retire (with great benefits) you are still young enough to explore your dreams and goals.... and while your there they treat you well.....
there are some rare opportunities around to learn the trade, but there is no such thing as a fast-track school that turns out good mechanics...

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I might just mention that the military is not only a place to gain excellent technical experience. Depending on what one puts into it, I believe it can be much more valuable than just going to school to gain some sort of certification. Three examples from my family:

US Marine- six years spent in IT, setting up mobile networks. Now employed by GE as head of network plant security, making buckets of money. Bright kid who served between the last two wars and felt the Marines would teach him how to work hard. Never seen a guy with his drive and determination.

US Airman- four years spent in a similar position. Now employed building cell networks for the military in the Middle East. Making more money than the marine. Similar story, though.

US Navy- career (Chief Petty Officer, I believe), self described "knuckle dragger", who knows all about how to build and repair self guided missles and stuff that goes boom. Says his experience will never get him a job (although still quite happy as retired Navy, working in unrelated areas). What the navy did for him was to teach him about management, leadership, teamwork.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Military service also teaches self discipline. Which is simply making yourself do what someone else would otherwise make you do. When you can learn to work without supervision you can work anywhere.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
I took an auto mechanics through vo-tech after high school. IMHO most of it was a waste of time and money. The guys who got an apprentice job in some garage moved ahead much faster. Shops simply wont look at your certificate as experience. If the kid really wants to learn, he needs to get his hands dirty working in the field. Its the only real experience that matters.

I also agree with military training. But he will only get out of it what he puts into it. No offense but ive known guys with military training, some are excellent, some are clueless. FAA licensing of mechanics is a good example. They will honor your military training, but only to a point. You still need to take some classes, pass the tests, and spend a year on probation.

I really wish I had went into marine mechanics right from the start. Its much less back breaking and 100 times cleaner than working on cars.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I also agree with military training. But he will only get out of it what he puts into it. No offense but ive known guys with military training, some are excellent, some are clueless.
Well, that's just a life lesson, right there. You can't teach the doofus out of a person.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack

On Long Island the golden age of trade schools was in the 70s and as pressure was bought on by those who felt hand work was not a proper education the programs were gutted to there current minimal state and we fight about standardized tests because everybody should think and learn the same way ;)

We had everything including a full size travel lift so we cold be trained to move and block boats safely and over the 1/2 day for TWO years we left pretty well trained for and 18 year old

One of the saddest days of my life was going back for a 40 hour update and seeing what had been great reduced to one classroom :(

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
In Canada, we have community colleges which have trade certification programs, most of which produce industry-respected diplomas and certifications, and they often dovetail the classroom part into an industry apprenticeship. Also, I understand that the Mercury factory training is well-regarded by the industry, but you need to be working (or sponsored) by a Mercury dealership to get in.

I've learned that when you have a serious goal, and stay tuned for any opportunities, any small step that moves you forward is worth taking. If I was a marine service manager, and some young person showed up wanting to discuss a career in the field, AND he/she could show me that they'd spent summers or after school doing ANYTHING marine related, and they brought knowledge, curiosity and good attitude... they jump to the front.

My brother got a life, a wife, and a trade from serving in the Canadian armed forces, so I can endorse that path too ;)

Jun 21, 2009
Hunter 27 Sparrows Point
In total agreement with the military posts.

What about ABYC? Any clues to what they require, and from whom? Not a lot of direction on their webpage.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
In total agreement with the military posts.

What about ABYC? Any clues to what they require, and from whom? Not a lot of direction on their webpage.

The only school I know of teaching a curriculum that is 100% in-line with ABYC is the Landing School. The final exams are the ABYC exams for each certification. Without ABYC certification it is pretty tough to get a decent job in this field, at least here in Maine where we have LOTS of qualified people and many schools..

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
(I have ABYC Marine Electrical certification)

ABYC has provided published standards for marine systems and mechanicals, and they offer one-week "review' courses which conclude with the certification exam, but this is intended for people who already have education and/or experience in the tested field. They don't have prerequisites, but the tests are tough enough that you'd have a hard time with them without prior experience.

For someone entering the field, the expected track would be to complete a marine mechanic's course, get some experience in the field, then when they feel ready, to take the ABYC certification, as sort of the final check of their knowledge. As MS mentioned, most employers respect the ABYC certification, so it's definitely a good career move to aim for certification.

Jun 21, 2009
Hunter 27 Sparrows Point
Maine Sail & kenn ---> Thanks for clearing up the ABYC cert.

The boy says Maine is outtadaquestion...to cold!
We'll keep plunking along.

Status
Not open for further replies.