looking for Lat/Long plotting software

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I have data files that have lat/long and other data recorded every 5 minutes. I'd like to process this data to get various interesting data, such as total mileage, mileage per day, avg speed, etc. I've tried google maps, but it doesn't do any of the analysis. I've tried GPX Viewer and Record (Windows), but meh.

Any suggestions as to other software? This is just for fun, so free is good.

I have several years worth of this data. Eventually I might try turning it into a set of Polars that would exactly match my boat/sails/style, etc.

Here is a screenshot of the type of data sets I have.
Screenshot 2024-09-10 20.34.26.png

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
Did you try OpenCPN? I don't know how many data points you have in that set - I'm only seeing 41. I'm sure there are a number more... I'd think actually setting up macros in Excel might be your best bet.

dj

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is a link

Here is the formula.
Obtaining the distance between two points on Earth – distance between coordinates.
If we apply the haversine formula for a central angle (i.e., the angle between two points along a great circle on a sphere with radius R) and solve for distance, we obtain:
d = 2R × sin⁻¹(√[sin²((θ₂ - θ₁)/2) + cosθ₁ × cosθ₂ × sin²((φ₂ - φ₁)/2)])
where:
  • θ₁, φ₁ – First point latitude and longitude coordinates;
  • θ₂, φ₂ – Second point latitude and longitude coordinates;
  • R – Earth's radius (R = 6371 km); and
  • d – Distance between them along Earth's surface.
Keep in mind that the angles θ₁ and θ₂ are not the same as those used in the spherical coordinate system introduced above. They denote latitude in this formula.

Using this haversine distance formula, you can translate latitude and longitude to distance, given the coordinates of two points on Earth, although with a minor setback. It can result in an error of up to 0.5% because the Earth is not a perfect sphere.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It sounds like your goals are mostly about analyzing the data and not viewing the route, so I’d be inclined to script it in Python. That would be infinitely customizable to whatever kind of analysis you’d like, and there are available Python libraries for tons of stuff. A quick Google search shows a Geopy library that would probably do most of the distance calculations you need.

This is actually the kind of boat project that GenAI like ChatGPT can be pretty helpful for. I like doing that kind of thing over the winter after the boat is covered up.