Looking for info on Paceship PY23

Jan 1, 2021
Paceship PY23 otsego lake
I’m looking at buying a PY23 and I’m not having any luck finding info or anyone else who sails one. I’d like some insider information about what to look for when I go look at it. Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The Paceship PY 23 is a small recreational keelboat, built predominantly of hand-laid up fiberglass with balsa cores and teak and mahogany wood trim. It has a masthead rig, a transom-hung rudder, a centerboard and or an optional fixed fin keel. It displaces 2,460 lb (1,116 kg) and carries 945 lb (429 kg) of iron and lead ballast. The centreboard version has a draft of 4.75 ft (1.45 m) with the 45 lb (20 kg) lead-weighted centreboard and kick-up rudder both extended and 1.75 ft (0.53 m) with the centreboard retracted into the 900 lb (408 kg) stub iron keel, allowing ground transportation on a trailer. The stub iron keel on the centreboard version allows the centreboard to be retracted without using interior cabin accommodation space, as well as beaching without damage to the hull. The later fixed fin keel version has a draft of 3.75 ft (1.14 m) and is often referred to as the PY 23K or PY 23 FK. The design features anodized spars, a self-bailing cockpit designed for six adults and an optional mainsheet traveller. A cockpit dodger was also optional. Below deck accommodations include four cabin windows, 5 ft (150 cm) headroom, a "V" berth in the bow, storage shelving and bins, a folding dining table, an optional gallery with an icebox, a stainless steel sink and a 12 U.S. gallons (45 L; 10.0 imp gal) fresh water tank. The PY 23 was designed so that even if a knock-down occurs that puts the mast in the water the boat's interior will not take on water and the boat remains self-righting. The boat is normally fitted with a small outboard motor for docking and maneuvering. The PY 23 has a hull speed of 5.96 kn.

Paceship PY23 information: Paceship PY 23 - Wikipedia

You might find this thread helpful: Paceship PY23???

Sep 25, 2019
CATALINA C27 Lk Norman NC
I had one for about 3 years, had to rebuild the galley( on the hard too long, insects attacked the plywood ). Pointed up REALLY well ( for me anyway) was very easy to sail/control. Just the normal look close on the the bulkheads for the standing running attach, I had almost no leaks ( windows as normal seeped a bit). Had to sell a couple of years ago ( between jobs, bills ) Ran a 5hp Nissan on a mount, would push at hull speed 3/4 throttle on the lake. Really hated to sell it..... It just showed up at my current sailing club this past fall. New owner really nice guy.
My 2 cents for what it's worth. Used to be a PY forum but it shut down a couple of years ago........If i'ts in good shape, you'll really enjoy it!!!

Jan 1, 2021
The Paceship PY 23 is a small recreational keelboat, built predominantly of hand-laid up fiberglass with balsa cores and teak and mahogany wood trim. It has a masthead rig, a transom-hung rudder, a centerboard and or an optional fixed fin keel. It displaces 2,460 lb (1,116 kg) and carries 945 lb (429 kg) of iron and lead ballast. The centreboard version has a draft of 4.75 ft (1.45 m) with the 45 lb (20 kg) lead-weighted centreboard and kick-up rudder both extended and 1.75 ft (0.53 m) with the centreboard retracted into the 900 lb (408 kg) stub iron keel, allowing ground transportation on a trailer. The stub iron keel on the centreboard version allows the centreboard to be retracted without using interior cabin accommodation space, as well as beaching without damage to the hull. The later fixed fin keel version has a draft of 3.75 ft (1.14 m) and is often referred to as the PY 23K or PY 23 FK. The design features anodized spars, a self-bailing cockpit designed for six adults and an optional mainsheet traveller. A cockpit dodger was also optional. Below deck accommodations include four cabin windows, 5 ft (150 cm) headroom, a "V" berth in the bow, storage shelving and bins, a folding dining table, an optional gallery with an icebox, a stainless steel sink and a 12 U.S. gallons (45 L; 10.0 imp gal) fresh water tank. The PY 23 was designed so that even if a knock-down occurs that puts the mast in the water the boat's interior will not take on water and the boat remains self-righting. The boat is normally fitted with a small outboard motor for docking and maneuvering. The PY 23 has a hull speed of 5.96 kn.

Paceship PY23 information: Paceship PY 23 - Wikipedia

You might find this thread helpful: Paceship PY23???
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it

Jan 1, 2021
I had one for about 3 years, had to rebuild the galley( on the hard too long, insects attacked the plywood ). Pointed up REALLY well ( for me anyway) was very easy to sail/control. Just the normal look close on the the bulkheads for the standing running attach, I had almost no leaks ( windows as normal seeped a bit). Had to sell a couple of years ago ( between jobs, bills ) Ran a 5hp Nissan on a mount, would push at hull speed 3/4 throttle on the lake. Really hated to sell it..... It just showed up at my current sailing club this past fall. New owner really nice guy.
My 2 cents for what it's worth. Used to be a PY forum but it shut down a couple of years ago........If i'ts in good shape, you'll really enjoy it!!!
This is exactly what I was looking for. I’m unfamiliar with the centerboard setup. Is there anything I should be looking for there?? FWIW from the pictures it looks to be in good shape, stored indoors offseason. Hopefully it works out.