Looking at boat on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Pilar

This Sat. I'm looking at a '79 Cat 30 and was wondering if anybody out there has any specific 'quirks' I might look for. I've heard a lot of good things about these, but is there anything that seems to be inherent to these models that would be worth checking for? Thanks!! -Mike

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Check owner reviews

You'll find some good info in the owner reviews. Just go to the "boats' link on this home page. Good luck!

R

Richard

Some things to look for or ask about

On a catalina that old you may want to ask about hull blisters. There will be many (unless the bottom has had an epoxy job). Many small ones not cracking the gelcoat is not a problem. If they are bigger than 5. to 1 inch then there are problems. Anyway you can use blisters as a bargining tool if you want. Motor.... Original? Hours? Last rebuilt? Problems? Most of all check any maintenance records he has. Some folks have yards do all the work so there should be records. I just got a 1982 catalina 30 and the big ones for me were head plumbing (changed most of it), mast step needs replaced, leaky muffler box, window leaks, autopilot broke, few blisters (had a half assed epoxy job done), etc.

G

Gary

boat check

Although I own a 36 catalina a generic check of almost all boats should include the following.===========engine analysis (the oil is analysied for ware), A hull check (blisters). I would check the mixing elbo as the yr/model is in the high replacement curve. I would inspect ALL the equiptment and check their operation (GPS,chartplotter,auto pilot,VHF, stereo/speakers,operate the sterring,windlass,raise and lower the sails,along with reefing them and operate all their adjustments. I would inspect the winches and ask the owner if he knows how to service them!. have him take you thru all the routine maintenance to see if he had been doing it EG:filters/oil changes/zincs/packing gland/oiling the steering.Check all the alarms (oil pressure and water tempature) Ask for receits of the haul outs etc.I would have a knowledgeable friend with a list be present and mythodically go over the sale and the showing with you.I would also ask other 30 owners like you are doing...Good luck gary

M

Mark Gale

Engine thought

From what I've heard, make sure you don't get one of the small diesels they put in for a year or two. They're underpowered for the size and weight of the boat. I have an '83 with a 21hp Universal. I love the boat. Power is good. Best of luck.

E

Ed Gutierrez

Check for leaks

Check for leaks around the windows. A check should be made at the light above the chart table. Pull the cover off and look for signs of corrosion. Ask the owner about any leaks. These boats are notorious for leakinf from the windows. Otherwise I have no problems with my 1977 C-30 std rig, fin keel A4 engine. Best of luck, Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.