Looking at a Tartan 33

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Hey,
I have been sailing a 1986 Catalina 22 for 5 years on Lake Erie and looking to size up on the cheap. I am looking at this Tartan and expect to get a surveyor to minimally knock the hull and deck knowing it is a mostly balsa cored. I am trying to set up a first viewing
My concerns in order of importance are
  1. Why would the hull have what looks like rust stains running down the hull?
  2. Dark stain on rudder scares me.
  3. It's being sold by a marine services company from what I can tell, maybe they put a lean on it or it was abandoned by previous owner
  4. What would it take to set this up for single hand? It looks like there is nothing rigged for short/single hand (no deck organizers, clutches, or winches on the cabin top.
  5. No dodger or bimini mentioned so they don't exist
I have seen the practical sailor article about things to check on these boats.

Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Most of the stains on the hull seem to start a few inches below the waterline. I’d guess they’re just some kind of organic growth from the boat sitting on the hard.

The one stain that would concern me more is the darker rust covered spot toward the front of the rudder.
1719745955275.png

If that one is really rust it could be water compromising the structure of the rudder and weeping out. It’ll take a closer inspection and survey to see what’s going on there.

I also noticed there are no pictures of the engine, leaving its condition pretty questionable.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've sailed quite a bit on a Tartan 33. They are good boats. You may need to modify this one a bit for single handed operation. As I recall the primary winches are too far forward to operate from the helm. It is an awkward trip around that destroyer steering wheel to the winches. A work around might installation of secondary winches at the helm, a good auto-pilot, or a smaller wheel. Maybe others will have other suggestions.
This boat needs a lot of TLC which maybe hard to accomplish from living not locally to the boat. In the pic of the companionway ladder on the left base there appears to be a sloppy goop job. What up? Also at that price it may need repowering. Last I saw these boats in good condition fetch in the mid twenties.
as per Davidasailor's comment, the one I sailed on lost its rudder. Snapped off about 2 inches below the water line. But almost all rudders are at risk for that.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks for the input, I think with a potential rudder rebuild and repower I might be better off buying a higher price/less expensive boat

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Tartan is enticing. What do you think about what the rest of the boat looks like?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On the positive side the bottom appears smooth, the topside finish looks good and most of the TLC is cleaning.
The ones I sailed on had lead keels - the Scheels keel which widens down low getting weight low which is good. No rust on those keels. The S&S hull can take a sea I can attest to.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
The Tartan is enticing. What do you think about what the rest of the boat looks like?
I still haven't had a chance to go to the boat so I have nothing but the online pics. I am going through a guy who knows the seller so I don't know where the delay is happening. I suspect that finding someone in the marine service company that's willing to work on the weekend. I am only able to go on the weekends because it's 2.5 hours away.