Looking at a 373

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
We've been away from sailing for about 4 years, got caught up with trailer boats and had a great run up and down the east coast. We decided we wanted to get something bigger and start preparing for longer trips as we get older. We are getting to the point in our lives that we can allocate more time away from work. And trawlers and sailboats require time, the latter more so. Yesterday we went and looked at a Monk 36 trawler. Pretty cool old boat, beautiful woodwork inside. Lots of systems and lots of work. Our biggest hurdle was how to get the dog into the dinghy.

They also had a 2006 Beneteau 373 that we got to talking about and took a look. Well it brought back a lot of memories and kinda pulled us in. Went to look at a trawler and went away wanting a sailboat.

Our last sailboat was a 2007 Catalina 310, nice boat. The 373 has a lot of things we like. The rotating wheel is nice and the huge separate shower is a big plus. Have a few questions that would probably be better answered here than from the broker. It has the Yanmar 3JH4E 40 hp. wondering what the fuel burn is at cruise speed? And what is cruise speed? Seems like a big motor. Also the the light on the hour meter works but there is no display. A google search turned up that this is a problem for some. Is there anyway to recover hours? The boat is incredibly clean and i wouldnt expect a lot of hours, but it sure would be nice to know.

I also learned that the iron keel is susceptible to more maintenance. Anything else should consider before we drop an offer?

Thanks, Mike

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our Oceanis 37 has a 3YM30 30 HP engine which is completely adequate, so the 40 hp in the same size boat must be plenty. We cruise at 7.1 kts and burn 0.7 gph, so I’d figure just a little more for the 40 hp.

I’ve seen ways to replace the displays in those panels and still have the hours, but nothing that could be done pre-purchase.

The iron keel is more maintenance than lead, but not so much more that I’d consider it a showstopper. Most years over the winter I have a couple spots where rust has broken through. Those just need to be sanded and barrier coated before bottom painting. In our case the spots are always small enough that it’s not a big project.

JHorr

Oct 9, 2019
Beneteau 373 New Bern
We've been away from sailing for about 4 years, got caught up with trailer boats and had a great run up and down the east coast. We decided we wanted to get something bigger and start preparing for longer trips as we get older. We are getting to the point in our lives that we can allocate more time away from work. And trawlers and sailboats require time, the latter more so. Yesterday we went and looked at a Monk 36 trawler. Pretty cool old boat, beautiful woodwork inside. Lots of systems and lots of work. Our biggest hurdle was how to get the dog into the dinghy.

They also had a 2006 Beneteau 373 that we got to talking about and took a look. Well it brought back a lot of memories and kinda pulled us in. Went to look at a trawler and went away wanting a sailboat.

Our last sailboat was a 2007 Catalina 310, nice boat. The 373 has a lot of things we like. The rotating wheel is nice and the huge separate shower is a big plus. Have a few questions that would probably be better answered here than from the broker. It has the Yanmar 3JH4E 40 hp. wondering what the fuel burn is at cruise speed? And what is cruise speed? Seems like a big motor. Also the the light on the hour meter works but there is no display. A google search turned up that this is a problem for some. Is there anyway to recover hours? The boat is incredibly clean and i wouldnt expect a lot of hours, but it sure would be nice to know.

I also learned that the iron keel is susceptible to more maintenance. Anything else should consider before we drop an offer?

Thanks, Mike
My display stopped working on my 373. I found a great YouTube on it. You have to replace a small LCD that displays the hours. The hours are still there, it's just the LCD display is bad. The YouTube told me how to get the display and how to install it. Wasn't real difficult. John