Looking at a 1986 Catalina 30 and have a few questions. Seeking advice!

Jan 26, 2015
Oday 26 Nashville, TN
Good Afternoon All!
3.jpg

I'm looked at a Catalina 30 today that I'm interested in purchasing but I had a few questions for the group. I have done my research but there are a few things that perplexed me. This boat does not have the T-Cockpit like the mkII's but does have the internal halyards and does not have a wood spreader. I was under the impression that all of those things came together with the mkII. Is it possible this boat got some upgrades but not others? It's a one owner boat that is being sold by a widow so unfortunately most of what I know is in the documentation kept by the husband (who kept alot btw). It's hull number #4543.

I'm also curious about the mast compression post. I inspected it visually and pressed into it. There was about an inch of water in the bilge and the are signs of water in areas around the post. It does seem to be fairly solid though. I've read about this repair job and I fell comfortable taking it on but I'm more curious on if this is going to be a ASAP repair or something that could wait awhile.

One other question I had was regarding adding refrigeration in these. The ice box seems small even without adding refrigeration. If you have done so..how do you like it? where did you install the compressor?

Thanks!!

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I have a 1984 Mk1 and previously had a 1983 Mk1. The compression post rotting out can be an issue but it depends on a lot of factors as to when you will need to do it. I don't need to replace mine yet but eventually it will need to be done. As far as the Mk2 options I am not sure.

The Ice chest had an optional reefer compressor that was located in the forward shelf of the port lazarette. They worked ok, but because of the low circulation in the lazarette they were not the most efficient. You can absolutely still get a compressor reefer kit for the ice chest but they strongly recommend adding a water cooling option from a thru hull (and adding an above water line discharge thru hull). We personally as of right now are planning on keeping our ice chest as an ice chest and getting a Dometic Electric cooler to put behind the stairs in the aft berth. (we removed the inboard aft cushion for space and because it is kind of useless as a sleeping space.

After we put the Dometic in I am still thinking about putting in the reefer option for the ice chest, even though it is less efficient. I really don't like having to get ice every few days but as I am not crossing oceans in her, it really is not that big of a deal.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm not sure about the compression post ( Is that it in the background?), but it looks like the keelbolt washer has broken. The bolt looks good but it needs a new washer or better yet a plate. I have no idea re the reefer.

Jan 26, 2015
Oday 26 Nashville, TN
I have a 1984 Mk1 and previously had a 1983 Mk1. The compression post rotting out can be an issue but it depends on a lot of factors as to when you will need to do it. I don't need to replace mine yet but eventually it will need to be done. As far as the Mk2 options I am not sure.

The Ice chest had an optional reefer compressor that was located in the forward shelf of the port lazarette. They worked ok, but because of the low circulation in the lazarette they were not the most efficient. You can absolutely still get a compressor reefer kit for the ice chest but they strongly recommend adding a water cooling option from a thru hull (and adding an above water line discharge thru hull). We personally as of right now are planning on keeping our ice chest as an ice chest and getting a Dometic Electric cooler to put behind the stairs in the aft berth. (we removed the inboard aft cushion for space and because it is kind of useless as a sleeping space.

After we put the Dometic in I am still thinking about putting in the reefer option for the ice chest, even though it is less efficient. I really don't like having to get ice every few days but as I am not crossing oceans in her, it really is not that big of a deal.
I will probably use something like this. I have a 50QT fridge that stays in my truck for camping that I could probably strap into that area you mentioned. I’ll just have to figure out a way to keep the kids out of it at night!

Jan 26, 2015
Oday 26 Nashville, TN
Yea it’s hard to make out with the glass and paint. The washer is there an intact I think but part of it has paint over it. The part you see just had the paint rubbed off. I’ll take a closer look at that though.
The bilge has water just under the automatic pump threshold but I think it’s running down from the anchor locker which had quite a bit of water in it and appeared to be clogged at the drain.

It is a good old boat after all so I don’t expect perfection.

I'm not sure about the compression post ( Is that it in the background?), but it looks like the keelbolt washer has broken. The bolt looks good but it needs a new washer or better yet a plate. I have no idea re the reefer.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
but they strongly recommend adding a water cooling option from a thru hull (and adding an above water line discharge thru hull).
Question: Who is "they?"
Reading Cruisers Forum and Kollmann, I think the concensus is air cooled, even in the tropics, remains preferred, because the4 extra moving partsw of water cooled don't an out. Keel cooled perhaps...

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
B
I have mk-1 but have not (yet) done the compression post support. However it has been extensively discussed over on the C-30 Association forum - and there’s amazing resources about that “operation.”
The chief C-30 guru Max Munger can answer some of your other questions. There’s also an owner active on there who has helped (literally) many owners with mk-1s fix and upgrade many issues.
I suggest cross posting questions on the official association forum over on the Catalina30 for additional info/feedback. There’s 1600 C-30 “experts” on there.
Good luck-the C-30 is a great boat, but like all good old boats there are some issues to look out for to avoid new boat blindness.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Question: Who is "they?"
Reading Cruisers Forum and Kollmann, I think the concensus is air cooled, even in the tropics, remains preferred, because the4 extra moving partsw of water cooled don't an out. Keel cooled perhaps...
my apologies, the info was from where I was looking to buy it from. in hindsight probably not the most reliable source.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 30 Newport, RI
You cannot tell from this picture but there is a slight radius to the bottom profile of the bilge, (bulges in the middle). A plate would need to be bent to this contour.

The washer is not broken. It is partially covered by paint that was applied to about the 1-1.5" level. (This is the level that the water will naturally reside at with a bilge pump float switch and low suction point of the bilge pump).

Catalina did not add a lower point for the bilge water to gather in, and so it sloshes around the entire length of the keel area. For a partial solution to this problem please see this article: Build Your Own DIY Arid Bilge or Dry Bilge System

For about $50 you can make a system that reduces bilge water to a very small puddle on the C30. We get the rest with a small shop vac. Dry boat = less mold (see OP picture for the black stuff).

I'm also curious about the mast compression post. I inspected it visually and pressed into it. There was about an inch of water in the bilge ...
You should be curious about this. Catalina put a sheet of fiberglass in the area you pressed into. This, among other things, separates the bilge from the step/compression post. This will be hard fiberglass, but behind it is a softwood step. This is what can become soggy. From having become concerned about this myself, I have read up on this around this forum and others. From what I can tell, there are some other indicators to look for when the step deteriorates. Otherwise, you would need to sample the step to find out.

The bilge water is not necessarily related to the compression post, here are some contributors to bilge water in my boat, from what I think is the most... to the least:
1. Rain - Hatches, Rudder Cap, Companionway (I'm tied to the dock, not as bad for those on moorings), leaks at deck step.
2. Condensation.
3. Stuffing box.
4. "Ice" box (drain line goes to the stuffing box area)

Just my thoughts!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The bilge has water just under the automatic pump threshold but I think it’s running down from the anchor locker which had quite a bit of water in it and appeared to be clogged at the drain.
Put in a second drain a couple/few inches higher than the OEM- and install it on the other side.