Look like the East Coast is going to get pounded

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
I think these storm are going to hit us hard! I have to get the boat ready for something.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
TS Hanna

Yesterday I received notice that Ladylove(H37C) had to be off the dock by Friday. As the boat is in the Neuse River in North Carolina and I am in Ohio that was not good news. Fortunately I had prepared by contracting with friends there just before an overseas trip. They were previously checked out on the boat and ground tackle. As I write this the boat is anchored at the southern most end of Clubfoot Creek off the Neuse. They called last night at dusk as they were locking her up.

Doing it myself would have meant two trips. Because of Ike and Josephine the boat will sit there for several days. I would have had to come home and go back down at the cost of over $200. in gas each time! And our local club regatta is this weekend. :)

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
club regatta this weekend?

I would stay in port! This next couple of week looks like it is going to be rough!

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Will get some increased winds and

a whole bunch of rain. Might be a good time to got out and test some of those heaving (pun intended) tests, Reefing and heavy weather strategies.

Everyone remain safe....

Jim
S/V Java

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Jim, I not so sure we know for sure where and how hard

this could be a big storm for the Chesy or Jersey shore.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Marina moved me to a more protected slip...

as a precaution for Hanna. I went down yesterday and took down my bimini and main sail, wrapped the heck out of the genoa, added extra lines and fenders.
I'm wondering what happens with Ike...

Manny

R

Recess

Ike

I am pretty sure Tina Turner could have told them if they named a hurricane Ike, someone was going to recieve a beating. Ike scares me... a lot.

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Manny I thought about you

I took time off yesterday (Friday) to secure the boat. Doubled the lines, took down the canvas.

When I left the marina store (Tidewater) I looked over "your way" way and wondered how you where making out.

My marina neighbor moved the Lantern Queen (a "copy" river boat for those outside of Havre de Grace)down to the city yacht basin last evening.

I was surprised at how many people hadn't done anything. But more of them started showing as I was finishing my jobs.

By 4:30 PM the wind was 15 or so out of the east, and overcast as the first extremely northern limb of the storm passed. And them quieted down later.

The accompanying link is the Tidewater webcam looking east from HdG.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Bob, Nice link !! didn't know it was there.

;D

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Hey Bob!...

Thanks for the camera link. Like Ross, I didn't know they had a web cam up. Instacam.com has an access to one in North East named "North Bay"--I think it's located at Bob Appleton's North Bay B&B.

Also, Weather Underground (wundergound.com) has some active reporting stations in our area. The one I use is at North East Marina in Charlestown. There's one in Perryville too. I also look at one in Rock Hall to see what's going on down the Bay. Also, don't forget the NOAA weather buoy off Tolchester. I use it to see what the wind's doing before it gets up to us.

Tuesday night checked all lines and wrapped main, genny and bimini with dock lines to keep them from being disrobed by the wind. Debated all the rest of the week about going down and stripping canvas. Now looks like we got very lucky with this one. I half expected another Isabel.

Regards...

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks for thinking of me Bob ;D

Normally you can see my boat from the Tidewater store (even though there is a trawler in the way). My goofy looking yellow bimini makes the boat distinguishable ;)
That is a great link you provided. I check it at work a lot just so I can see if anybody is out sailing. - Ross, that camera looks right out on the mooring field. It's fun to refresh the browser and see the Lantern Queen or the Martha Lewis pop up in the picture!
You guys think the Lantern Queen made a dinner run tonight ??? ;D

Manny

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Manny, I will be down there tomorrow about noon

and will check owens and your marina and Tidewater. The strongest winds have been from the northwest. Owens is sheltered by Garrett Island and the west side of the river turns a little southwest at Tidewater.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hope all is well Ross

One of my dock neighbors texted me a few times to let me know things were okay down at Log Pond, even sent me a picture of my boat after it was over.
Hopefully you faired well at Owens. Are you going sailing tomorrow? According to Wunderground the forecast is predicting a fantastic afternoon.

Manny

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Webcam

Here's a link for a small sized picture only.

Since I'm running Win2K and XP on my various machines I have it running locally as an Active Desktop item. It refreshes every 15 minutes (if my memory is correct). If you click on the picture it will open a new window to the same "Local Weather" page you've seen

I also have HTML that I built (OK I cheated and used Word) around addresses ferreted from webpages for a few weather radars (WBAL, ours at WGAL-TV, a regional from Wunderground, and maybe a couple others) that I run the same way.

As to Hannah, I've been living on the Wunderground site the last few days.
Thought that it might peter out, but..... if I was wrong.....
Drove myself nuts.

I'm glad all is well with everyone. Now we can go back to worrying and praying for the southern contingent. If we got nailed as much as they do, I'd be in the funny farm by now.

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Dang!

Here it is as text.

http://home.comcast.net/~wb3awj/SM_TIDEWATER.HTM

Hopefully that will make it.