Long way to check out trailer sailor

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
For a trailersailer, I'd drive anywhere I could trailer the boat home from. For any other boat, anywhere I could sail it home from. The right boat is worth it. The wrong boat may not be, but then, the right boat is worth checking out a few wrong boats.

DON'T, DO NOT, fall into the trap of making your trip worth it by buying a boat you don't really want just because you invested the time in driving out there for it.

My wife is a nurse who has seen patients get upset over "unnecessary" tests because the tests turned out negative. Just because the test turned out negative doesn't mean the test was unnecessary.

-Will

Nov 6, 2019
Marshall 15 Catboat Lafayette, LA
If it's a boat always wanted and it's not more than a day drive. With the I-Phones these days seller can send many extra pics --- also can do a video phone call and look at boat like you're there in person.

Dec 29, 2021
Catalina, Tanzer C 22, 16 10910 Starr SC
I just came home with a Tanzer 16 that I made the deal with and went out to pick up the boat this past Sunday. Sight unseen. 450 miles round trip.

May 19, 2019
Catalina Capri 16 Los Angeles
In 2009, at age 66, my father drove from SoCal to Florida for a Drascombe Lugger. He wanted one oh so bad! Last week I drove 12 hours round trip for a French made Zodiac Mark 1 Classic used once by original owner. I learned after too much thinking.....when you snooze you lose! When we want something, we go get it!

Last edited:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We went 4.5 hours to see a dinghy. The seller's visa was expiring in two weeks, so he was eager to have it gone. Got what I think was a good deal.

Attachments