Long shaft vs short shaft

Mar 26, 2020
O’Day 192 East End Beach
Hey all! I have a 192 and shopping for a new motor. Has anyone used a short shaft with good results? I had a long shaft, but with my adjustable mount, I’m not sure a long shaft is necessary. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Long shaft puts more prop in water for sailboats. I realize they slightly more expensive but nessary

Mar 26, 2020
O’Day 192 East End Beach
Yes, after a couple more measurements it’s clear that I should stick with the long shaft. Thanks!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For a sailboat, the longer the shaft the better. For a power boat they want 2" from the bottom of the boat to the cavitation plate but a sailboat with a displacement hull behaves totally different allowing the prop to come out of the water in heavy swells or when going forward to drop the anchor.

Mar 26, 2020
O’Day 192 East End Beach
Yes thanks. I have definitely decided that I need a long shaft. A couple measurements confirmed that pretty quickly. Thanks!

Loni

Jun 3, 2019
Oday 20 Gimli, Manitoba, Canada
I have an Oday 20 with a short shaft 7.5 Merc and have no issues with it. Easy to start, steer, life and lower. Picture shows it halfway down still can drop half foot more if I need it out in open water but perfect in the harbor. 7.5 almost too much hsp for the hull!

Loni

Jun 3, 2019
Oday 20 Gimli, Manitoba, Canada
I have an Oday 20 with a short shaft 7.5 Merc and have no issues with it. Easy to start, steer, life and lower. Picture shows it halfway down still can drop half foot more if I need it out in open water but perfect in the harbor. 7.5 almost too much hsp for the hull!View attachment 176903

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Even with those adjustable brackets, The long-shaft, 20" (or even x-long shaft, 25") will allow keeping the powerhead higher above the water than you can with a short-shaft. Waves and powerboat wakes will lift the stern up sometimes lifting the outboard out of the water, but they also can wash over a low-mounted engine drowning it at a critical time!

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Our O'Day 20 came with a long shaft 6hp Mercury. Nice motor, too heavy, unnecessary hp. Bought a 4hp Johnson short (18") shaft with reverse and neutral and it is ideal. When are you most likely to be using the motor? In and out of dock: a short shaft will not be cavitating at those speeds and waves. But we've used our short shaft in heavy chop too, and cavitation is no more an issue than with the long shaft. Just another Shibboleth.

Mar 26, 2020
O’Day 192 East End Beach
Thanks for the info! I ended up finding a used Tohatsu 3.5hp, long shaft that I bought. I think it’ll work nicely!