Long or short shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Smith

This past fall, I purchased a 1981, 25' MacGregor. It didn't come with a motor, and I'm not sure if I should get a long shaft motor, or short one. Thanks for any response.

D

Dean Smith

Get the long one

I believe you will need the long shaft engine.

P

PAT BURNIGHT

BEST DEAL PREVAILS

JEFF, I HAVE AN 81 MAC 25 AND I WAS ABLE TO USE A SHORT SHAFT MOTOR, BUT IT REQUIRED MOVING THE MOTOR MOUNT DOWN FOUR INCHES. I FOUND A LOT OF GOOD BUYS IN SHORT SHAFT MOTORS AND THIS HAS WORKED OKAY FOR ME.

P

Paul

had a short shaft also,but

found that within a couple years the motor mount being lowered got water logged & had to remake the wood mount. Suggest if lowering the mount do the following. As you lower the mount use the old bottom holes for the new top holes. That way you only have to tap 2 new holes & fill 2 old holes. I simply plugged the old with caulk & stainless steel bolts & nuts. That way if I ever blew my engine & purchased a long shaft the conversion back was simple. Reinforce the 2 new holes as the stern wall in the new hole area is thinner than where the old holes were. Dismantle the wood mount, ream out the holes that are tapped through it slightly and put numerous coats of polyurethane all over, on, in & into the holes to totally seal the wood. It will save you having to rebuild the mount in a few years. Check it every year & add a few more coats. You will find that you will have to lean over quite far to start & operate the engine as it now sits much lower. A little inconvenient but not impossible. Good luck, PJ

G

Gord Stewart

In my opinion there is no question. The added cost of a long shaft is well worth it. With a long shaft you prop is less likely to come clear of the water if you happen to be out in some heavy weather and running down wind under power. Furthermore, the prop is deeper and you will find that when you need reverse the effect is better with a long shaft, as there is little or no reflection of thrust off the hull and transom. Believe me, when you get into a situation (and you will) where you need all the reverse thrust you can get you will truly be grateful you spent the extra.

J

Joe

Long shaft is the way to go

Hi Jeff, I have been doing a good bit of motor research lately as I am shopping for a motor for my new boat. The long shaft definately does the best job. A new Merc long shaft 2-stroke came with the boat, but I am going the extra bucks to get a four stroke for the gas mileage to get offshore cruising range. I want to sell the new 2-stroke for a good deal if anyone is interested send me an email jecsunset@aol.com.

J

Joe

Long shaft is the way to go

Hi Jeff, I have been doing a good bit of motor research lately as I am shopping for a motor for my new boat. The long shaft definately does the best job. A new Merc long shaft 2-stroke came with the boat, but I am going the extra bucks to get a four stroke for the gas mileage to get offshore cruising range. I want to sell the new 2-stroke for a good deal if anyone is interested send me an email jecsunset@aol.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.