Long Beach Island, New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie Shreeves

I am going to be heading down to LBI with my Macgregor 26S in a couple of weeks and wanted to get some information about the waters and sailing those parts. Does anyone know some nice places to sail around there and a decent marina to put the boat in the water at? I went down last year with a Cal-21 but we kept running aground and between the choppy seas and 20 knots winds it was not very much fun. We went out at Barnegat Light area last time. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

D

Daryl

Hope it Ain't that Water Ballast Boat

If you have the Macgregor motor sailor thing with the big outboard cancel the trip and get rid of that thing. Last week one sank on a New England lake and two people died.

J

Jamie

Was inL. Champlain and you don't have the facts

The boat in question was a 1996-2002 model year Macgregor 26X that was not filled with the water ballast. I have a 1990 MacGregor 26S that has a an 8hp motor, it's pretty close to the Hunters and Catalinas and not at all like those motor/sailor boats. The captain of that boat in the news was intoxicated and as I said before he did not have the water ballast filled. There were 11 people on board and only one of them died, sadly the one who died was a child who got caught on a rope in the cabin.

M

Mark

Here's the tragic story

Here's the article from the Rutland Herald, Rutland, Vermont. Boats don't kill people... criminally negligent, intoxicated idiots do!

T

Tom

Hmmm...Ok....more facts

2 children died (9 and 4 years old). Luckily the 8 year old sister was saved. 11 people (adults and children) in the boat watching the fireworks on July 4th. Is that alot of people for a 26 foot boat !?.... (possibly?)....But should a 26 foot boat capsize becuase of this !?!? God I don't think it should ! That sounds incredibilty unstable....even if there were 8 adults all weighing an average of 200lbs!! I had a 27foot Watkins and there was no way in h**l that it would have capsized under those conditions. Sorry...but this particular boat doesn't sound anymore stable than an open motorboat, which is not very stable You said something about the one girl got caught on a rope in the cabin. Do you have a link to that info. I could not find that anywhere...I posted a link below.

B

Bob La Salle

Check out "Long Beach Island Marinas" ...

... and the reply posts, originally posted here on 10/25/01. Search the above words in the archives and you will find exactly what you're looking for.

P

Paul

Go North

Water in Barnaget Bay is deeper north of Barnaget light. We sail a 26x almost anywhere on the bay in that area.(only need 3ft of water.) If the wind is too strong, try Toms River.

L

Larry Dilks

LBI sailing

I have only had my O'Day 222 since Memorial Day weekend but I have enjoyed sailing Great Bay. It is 5' plus at low tide and good winds. choppy at times but all a part of the spectrum. Bass River Marina is deep water and well protected, the Mullica River is a pain to sail due to shifty winds and current but is mostly deep water. There is not much to do when you get there however. It is really in the middle of nowhere but I come to sail and enjoy the solitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.