Lone Reefer

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melody Miller

Hello All: I've reefed my main on about 3 different occassions now and really like the way that it flattens out the boat when the wind is in the upper teens - low 20's (apparent wind that is.) However, I couldn't help but notice that in all instances, I am the **only** one with a reefed sail. Other sailboats, large and small, are sailing with their mains and genoas - even more sail than I have under **regular conditions.** Yet those boats appear to be sailing at a reasonable heel. I'm wondering if I am reefing my main needlessly when someother adjustment would suffice. My boat doesn't have a boom vang. Could a properly adjusted boom vang help before reefing? Also what do most consider an optimum degree of heel when sailing close to the wind? Is there anything sort of . . uh . . "quantitative" to indicate that my sails are properly set and that I'm in the "slot?" Thanks, Melody

G

Gary

degree of heel

Melody, If you are heeled over more than 16-17 degees,its too far and you would be loosing speed.You could ,prior to reefing, let the main out.bringing yourself under 15 degreees heel and improving your speed. The sequence I use is spill main first,reduce jib second (from 110 to around 90) and thirdly reef the main.Anything after that is defensive sailing because that usually allows me to sail in up to 35 knots of wind.

R

Rico

I prefer to reef

Naturally this is subject of divergent opinion. I generally am, like you, reefed while others are sailing at incredible angles of heel (which, I admit, can be fun, and give the sensation of speed). Besides from not racing, and not being in a hurry to get anywhere, My reasons are as follows: First and foremost, I don't like to abuse my gear with unwarranted stress loads. Second, I don't like to place myself in a situation in which I must continually adjust sails. Third, my c-22 handles best at slight, rather than extreme angles of heel. Fourth, I don't like it when my drink spills. Next, consider the "slot" concept which is the prima faci of sloop, cutter, and marconi rigs. The jib and main have an optimal combined setting which we all constantly strive for. To have to spill wind regularly would defeat the purpose of this arangement. Now briefly analyze how sloops harness wind power and tansfer it into foreward momentum. The wind is collected by the sails, which have a center of effort. when this center is too high fo the amount of power, wind power is not effectively transferred to foreward momentum. This causes exessive heel which is momentum in the wrong driection. Sailors counter such heel by applying greater rudder angle, which acts like a break, steering into the wind, which de-powers sails, or spill the wind fom the sails, which not only de-powers them, but brings the up the sail re-setting can of worms. Reefing lowers the center of effot. A boat can be steered without excessive rudder angle (friction). As a result, it is more stable and able to handle puffs and other varialbes with a minimum of effort. The rig is under less stress, and can turn wind power into foreward momentum more efficiently. Your course won't suffer so much from leeway. There are also reasons for crowding on sail. Racing, naturally is one. I will end by saying that on my 18 year old sails are in prime shape for their age and have degraded little if at all over the course of my 5 year ownership of year-round usage. Rico.

H

Hayden Watson

Middle gear

There is one more "gear" to to shift to before reefing. As the wind velosity increases, you should stretch all of the corners of the sail. This is done by tightening the out haul and the cunningham. This will flatten the sail which de-powers the sail and reduces drag.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Good stuff!

I usually react the way Gary described (spilling the main, decreasing jib, reefing) but I love Rico's explanation! I wish I could prod myself into actually reefing early but spilling it is SO much easier (especially for us lazy cusses). And when I have non sailing friends (depending on their adventure levels) I like to tip it a little more than usual to give them a little thrill. ;-)

R

Richard

Nobody mention the traveler!

One nice thing prior to reefing is to eas the traveler to the downwind side then sheet in the main some. This will likely reduce the heel of your boat. This is an interim solution if you don't expect the wind speed to increase or you just got in a more gusty location. Nobody in SF Bay seems to realize that excessive heel though neat looking is actually slower! Last weekend on my Catalina 30 with a reefed main and half furled jib I kicked the ass of a Hunter 34 (?) with full sail up. They could not hold a course and kept rounding up due to excessive weather helm! If they reefed they would have easily caught me. Of course they are a hunter owner or renter so that means that likely they have no clue!:) Most boats don't sail very fast on excessive heel. Reefing early is a perfectly valid solution especially if you expect the wind to increase more during the day. Near the Golden gate in San Francisco you can almost always expect the wind to increase throughout the day and I am usually one of the few reefed boats out there (but still pulling 6+ knotts). Richard

B

Brad Elbein

Reefing vs. Heeling

I'm thrilled to see that everybody agrees about sailing flat. At the risk of repeating myself in an earlier post: There's a name for people who are healed over so far you can see their bottom paint or the wings on their keel. The name is: "Damn fools." They're certainly not sailors, no matter what kind of boat they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.