Location of electrical connections for mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2004
Catalina 30 Benicia, California
I have a 1980 Catalina 30. I am considering unstepping the mast to replace the spreaders, the standing rigging, the mast-head light and the VHS antenna. Where exactly are the electrical connections between the wiring harness and the mast? Bob Boller Benicia, CA

E

Ex 30-owner

C30 Mast Wiring

Bob, The wiring goes down through the wooden compression post in into the bilge. It may not be accessible there. There may not be a connector anywhere in-line. If you un-step the mast, you may have to cut the wires and add connectors when you re-step.

Dec 15, 2004
Catalina 30 Benicia, California
Mast was unstepped when shipped from the factory.

It doesn't make sense that there wouldn't be connectors somewhere. I'm quite sure the boat was shipped from the factory with the mast unstepped. It had to be stepped and connected when it arrived at the first owner's or dealers location. Bob

Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
Sailingdude

The connection plug for the lights on my 1992 C-30 was above the deck plate just inside the base of the mast. You might want to check if thats the same for you before the mast is pulled. You can do this by removing the 2 sheaves at the base of the mast (port and stbd side)and fishing around in there with your fingers to pull out the cable...my wires did not have much extra "slack", but I could reach the connection. I also had a connection rigged for the vhf at this same point...I think the prior owner simply cut it when he had the mast unstepped. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.