Load range E or D tires

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Nothing wrong with going load range E over D, just make sure you inflate them properly.

I'm going to say something I didn't see in all the posts, but you need another axle... no don't replace THAT one.. add 1.

4000lbs if that number is correct, for a 3500lb axle, I wouldn't do it. Also you are borderline going to 2 axles anyway at that weight. It'll make it all ride better as well.

Boat trailers are tough though, since the axles are underwater for a time while you launch/retrieve, they always take a beating.

The tires should hold up and Carlise tires have given us good luck on our horse trailer (getting to a point where I wouldn't use any others). You SHOULD be on a 4 year schedule to replace them though, so your replacement seems more frequent then I'd have thought.

We tow a big living quarters horse trailer, 2 axle, gooseneck, #14000 filled up. I, like you, don't mess around... we get bearings repacked yearly, tires every 3 years... and brakes inspected seasonally. I've had blow-outs on my last horse trailer and been on the side of the interstate putting spares on with horses stomping in the trailer.. NOT FUN. Most tire problems are from poor inflation though... you'd be amazed at how ambient temperatures greatly affect PSI in tires.

Jul 19, 2009
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 #190 Dayton Ohio
I'm going to say something I didn't see in all the posts, but you need another axle... no don't replace THAT one.. add 1.

4000lbs if that number is correct, for a 3500lb axle, I wouldn't do it. Also you are borderline going to 2 axles anyway at that weight. It'll make it all ride better as well.
There have not been any issues with the axle, bearings, or brakes in the 45K miles we have trailered this boat and trailer. The weight on the axle is most likely 3,600 after removing tongue weight. I agree that increasing capacity might be needed but a 7,000 lbs setup I think is way overkill and may actually ride worse (stiffer). I would have to move the original axle to add another to keep them in the proper location. Do you have a trailer for your boat?

Keeping with the original post I did buy tires today. They only had enough of the D range in stock so I went with that. After all these posts I stuck with D. They look awful. Very cheap looking rubber and very out of round when I saw them on the balancer compared to when they put my large truck tires to rebalance them. The new trailer wheels looked pretty straight on the balancer. Dexstar made in USA.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
We are leaving in the morning for Thunder Bay, Ontario. Last minute change of destination to Lake Superior from Lake Huron. New 3500lb axle, new brake assemblies, new master cylinder, new brake lines, one new set of bearings as the other was new from last year. They were the original 29 year old Timkin bearings and the one I just replaced was good though since the other side failed last year I said why not....I have it all apart. One more trip out of these tires and then I will upgrade to 215/75/15. It was a lot of crawling around on the ground...not fun.:D
The old axle had a bow in it and I think it was a straight axle without the offset at the flange. The new one also bows a bit with the full weight on it but the flange as a noticeable offset to account for the bow. The old axle was also out of alignment....I moved the left side forward 3/4 of an inch to true it up.
Have a few other updates planned for the trailer when we get back as it was just about all original from 29 years ago. Replaced the bunk boards last year and I think all new lights and wiring is next on the list.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Just thought I'd share this photo. I replaced my tires last month, and put the better of the two on another rim for a spare. Less than two weeks after I was towing my "new" C22 on this tire, it self destructed while just sitting there, being a spare! :eek:

It was a load range C, never should have been used in the first place.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Just returned from Lake Superior. We ended up going to the small village of Rossport at the top of the lake to put in. About 900 miles round trip on the road and no problems with the new axle and brakes. Tires show no abnormal wear and it towed straight as an arrow up to 70mph at times when I was not paying attention to the speedo...normally I run about 60-65mph. The road between Rossport and Nipigon...about 40 miles...has many steep grades, some at 7% and it's quite the roller coaster ride with incredible scenery of the Lake, high cliffs and deep cuts through the rock for the road. Used a Honda Pilot for the tow vehicle.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Just thought I'd share this photo. I replaced my tires last month, and put the better of the two on another rim for a spare. Less than two weeks after I was towing my "new" C22 on this tire, it self destructed while just sitting there, being a spare! :eek:

It was a load range C, never should have been used in the first place.

That tire wear looks like what was happening to mine before the new axle...though it never got that bad. The tread is completely worn on the left side. Was that abnormal wear on the inside or outside of the tire? How are the new tires wearing...time to check the axle for camber?

Sep 30, 2013
That tire wear looks like what was happening to mine before the new axle...though it never got that bad. The tread is completely worn on the left side. Was that abnormal wear on the inside or outside of the tire? How are the new tires wearing...time to check the axle for camber?

The excessive wear was on the inside. Weak/old/overloaded springs, I wonder? They are definitely very old, probably original, late 80's vintage. I've purchased new ones which I will install in a few days, after which I may take it to a trailer place for a look-over.

The trailer actually has independent suspension, possibly home made, so anything is possible. Here's a quick snapshot of it:

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
The excessive wear was on the inside. Weak/old/overloaded springs, I wonder? They are definitely very old, probably original, late 80's vintage. I've purchased new ones which I will install in a few days, after which I may take it to a trailer place for a look-over.

The trailer actually has independent suspension, possibly home made, so anything is possible. Here's a quick snapshot of it:

That is an interesting setup. It looks like you can adjust the camber of the axle by moving the inner end up or down in either hole in the bracket. With that setup it looks like worn springs could affect the camber of the axle. My tires wore that same way it it was due to negative camber in the one piece axle that just bent with age and miles. Put a level on the axles and see if they are straight or have a slight bow. Is it possible that you need more adjustment on the inner bracket though you can't go up any higher? If you are taking in it to a shop they could check it all out and know how much to adjust it.

Check out this chart.

http://www.venturetrailers.com/pdfs/Tire Wear Chart.pdf

Sep 30, 2013
That is an interesting setup. It looks like you can adjust the camber of the axle by moving the inner end up or down in either hole in the bracket. With that setup it looks like worn springs could affect the camber of the axle. My tires wore that same way it it was due to negative camber in the one piece axle that just bent with age and miles. Put a level on the axles and see if they are straight or have a slight bow. Is it possible that you need more adjustment on the inner bracket though you can't go up any higher? If you are taking in it to a shop they could check it all out and know how much to adjust it.

Check out this chart.

http://www.venturetrailers.com/pdfs/Tire Wear Chart.pdf
Great chart!

Yes, it looks like the axles might need more upward adjustment at the inner ends, if the new springs don't do the trick.

But, since there is no more upward adjustment to be had at the inner ends, perhaps the outer ends could come DOWN. There is a small spacer that sits between the springs and the axle which could be removed, effectively lowering the outer ends of the axles. Actually, it looks like it's welded on, but I have a grinder, and I ain't afraid to use it. :)

Here's a closeup of the spacer(s):