Liveaboard Marinas New England to New York

Jan 20, 2020
Hunter 410 Cast off from Cape Cod
I have to spend this summer in the Northeast and I'm looking for recommendations for live aboard marinas anywhere between Plymouth and Long Island Sound. Nothing high end but I know that's not the norm in that part of the world. That's why I'm asking

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't like to see this post drift off the list. I think lots of posters would like to help but have little to contribute. I can only think of one marina on the East End of LI the USED to allow live aboards. Worse, most contracts for dockage specifically prohibit live aboards. Among other factors, I believe insurance companies make it difficult for the marina. Also local environment concerns, local neighborhoods regarding traffic, taxing agencies etc. Almost no one wants live boards except those who want to live aboard.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I believe there are a few liveaboards here:

very basic setup though...dock, power, one bathroom.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
How long are you going to stay? You might do better to be a transient, but not sure what you are looking for as far as length of time.

The area you are looking is pretty specific. Are you going there to work and want to live aboard?

dj

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
The problem is finding a marina that has openings. I'm at Pope Island Marina and I know a few live aboards during the off season/winter but they usually move to a mooring during the summer. Last I heard they were completely full but it might be worth a check.

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I had some friends that worked at Britannia Yachting Center (on the North Shore of Long Island). I think they mentioned a few people that lived on board all year round. Not sure if that is still allowed, that was 15+ Years ago. But it is a nice place to stay. Northport town is close and a great place to spend a summer.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
I have to spend this summer in the Northeast and I'm looking for recommendations for live aboard marinas anywhere between Plymouth and Long Island Sound. Nothing high end but I know that's not the norm in that part of the world. That's why I'm asking
Is a mooring OK or are you looking for a slip?

Jan 20, 2020
I don't like to see this post drift off the list. I think lots of posters would like to help but have little to contribute. I can only think of one marina on the East End of LI the USED to allow live aboards. Worse, most contracts for dockage specifically prohibit live aboards. Among other factors, I believe insurance companies make it difficult for the marina. Also local environment concerns, local neighborhoods regarding traffic, taxing agencies etc. Almost no one wants live boards except those who want to live aboard.
I appreciate your view. Having grown up on the island and spending my time (land-wise) between family on LI and cape cod I know the views you mention. However, there are marinas that are live aboard welcoming (as I have found on Or two with no space available).

Jan 20, 2020
How long are you going to stay? You might do better to be a transient, but not sure what you are looking for as far as length of time.

The area you are looking is pretty specific. Are you going there to work and want to live aboard?

dj
I’m formerly a New England resident before retiring a few years ago and moving down to a boat live in SW FL. Lost the boat when Hurricane Ian came through and I expect to have a replacement boat up here in early spring. I will need to do some superficial work (slip required) which is why I was planning on staying up north.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I have never had as much trouble as I've had since Nikki returned Skipping Stone to Narragansett Bay finding any affordable slip, let alone a liveaboard slip. The closest I've come was arriving in Auckland, NZ and being told there were no public slips at all. So I took my 65' ketch and cruised the slips until I found a slip with filthy dock lines. I contacted the owner who said he was having a new boat and I could spend as much time there as I wished, for free!
You can't even do that here because any temporarily empty slip is rented to a transient. 12 years back I found a very inexpensive liveaboard slip in East Providence, but no more.
You might contact Consolidated Yachts Inc, City Island, NY.. When I bought Skipping Stone there (2009), it was a poorly run operation that allowed liveaboards but with huge metal pilings, it was pretty noisy when the wind was up.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but the slip situation here is a lot of why we sold Skipping Stone.