Listing to port

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
Hello,

My seidelman 37 is listing a copple degrees to port after being washed up on a sand bar during a strom a coupple months ago. I'm not sure if I never noticed it before or it's just that the water tank is full and since the uncrewed trip she took I have taken allot of tools and other items off the boat mostly on the starboard side.

Anyone know how worried I should be? Can the keel bolts bend? I don't see anything in the blidge that looks different than before.

Nathan Needel
Moonraker
813 426 3549

Nov 2, 2010
Precision 28 Ashland, Oregon
FWIW, my boat always lists to starboard because all of the tanks are on that side... I have a friend who actually keeps sand bags under his salon seats on one side so that his boat sits evenly...

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Seidelmann 37

Hello,

My seidelman 37 is listing a copple degrees to port after being washed up on a sand bar during a strom a coupple months ago. I'm not sure if I never noticed it before or it's just that the water tank is full and since the uncrewed trip she took I have taken allot of tools and other items off the boat mostly on the starboard side.

Anyone know how worried I should be? Can the keel bolts bend? I don't see anything in the blidge that looks different than before.

Nathan Needel
Moonraker
813 426 3549
Nathan take a look at the thread Seidelmann 25 Keel reseal, you will see photos of an S25 keel dropped and resealed by it's very dedicated owner, your keel bolts look very similar just bigger, same basic set up. Because the bolts are in port and starboard pairs it is not likely that they bent unless some broke due to your grounding and or crevice corrosion.

Great job on the stanchions local is always best if you have the time and patience.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I'm thinking it is just the way it is with the water in your tanks and your batteries on the port side (also the larger side berth lockers storing tools etc.). On the starboard side there is some extra wood, refrig, galley, and hot water heater is not enough to offset the weight.

I'm thinking the Seidelmann 34 has the same characteristics. It's not much and only notice it when looking at the water line and its a inch or so at worse so try to balance the weight.

I'm thinking it has nothing to do with the keel. Let us know if you see something at haul out that confirms this.

Aug 7, 2011
Seidelmann S37 Georgetown
My seidelmann S37 also lists slightly to starboard. I think it mostly due to the tons of crap I've added over the years. Plus that side has the extra 40 gal water tank, plus head, plus 5 house batteries, plus SSB , Plus, etc. etc. Also where I hang my Propane tank and extra anchor.

Aug 7, 2011
Seidelmann S37 Georgetown
My seidelmann S37 also lists slightly to starboard. I think it mostly due to the tons of crap I've added over the years. Plus that side has the extra 40 gal water tank, plus head, plus 5 house batteries, plus SSB , Plus, etc. etc. Also where I hang my Propane tank and extra anchor.
my misteak. ment to say Port vs starboard.

Oct 11, 2012
Clark-San Juan 23 Kings Mountain N.C.
I used a long masons level when I was rebuilding my current boat. This allowed me to adjust the load to keep the boat level. I made marks on the rear of the hull to use as a guide. The battery bank was adjusted to one side and all is well. Even small amounts of load can make a difference in the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.