Linking autopilot to Garmin GPS chartplotter

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Morris Covin

I installed a Garmin 2006C on my Hunter 30 today and it's operating great. My question is how do I wire my ST4000 autopilot to the GPS? Someone told me the ST4000 has a blue wire that the GPS should be wired to. I have the wiring diagram for the GPS and it shows what wire to use but I don't know what wire to hook it up to. Any suggentions? Is it as easy as just connecting the wire and the chartplotter will automaticly read the ST4000 and properly configure itself? Thanks in advance. Morris

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Morris, the ST4000 head should have...

a NMEA interface jack. You may need to buy a tailed plug to fit it. This tail should have a data in and data out lead. Same goes for your GPS. In order to get our GPS 178C to work with our ST7000 Autohelm (Raymarine) required that I connect the GPS data out lead to the ST6000 head data in lead. The GPS data in lead must go to ground as did the ST6000 data out lead. It took many calls to Garmin and Raymarine help desk before we solved the problem. Just remember, the GPS sends data out to the AP head in lead, and both the GPS data in lead and AP data out lead must go to ground or common. Please let me know if this solved the problem for you. Terry

May 25, 2004
Oday 25 Tampa Bay
I just went thru this

I had the Simrad A/P unit and wiring the two together was a PITA till I figured it out, then it becomes simple. The Simrad comes with a juntion box to wire the Garmin to. As Terry {post 1} stated, you will have find a piece of wire {your tool box, garage, whereever} and use it for a ground wire. Other than that, follow the directions. You will find more help in the archives. Good luck, Jack

P

Pat

GPS & NMEA

Terry is coprrect. A little more info. I had the exact same delima with many calls to Garmin. Turns out the Garmin instructions were incorrect. A call to Raytheon got the correct instructions. As Terry pointed out it is quite easy, connect the NMEA + ports together and the NMEA - ports to ground. You then have to enter the GPS & Autohelm 4000 set up to activate the feature in each (maybe not the Autohelm - I forget). Mine is connected to the radar and the DSC VHF/FM in addition to the Autohelm 4000 You will then be able to have the Autohelm 4000 stear the boat to a waypoint. Better is setting up routs and using the Autohelm's "Track" key to run the route. Doing so eliminates X-track error that you get by using "GO TO" for a single waypoint. Good Luck, Pat

P

Pat

178c & Autohelm

The 178c may have 2 NMEA com ports - however, I'm not certain about that. In any event, you should be able to connect up to 3 devices on a single NEMA port. I have a 172c with 2 NEMA com ports but I only use one port to connect Radar, Autohelm weel pilot 4000 plus and a Standard Horizion DSC Radio to the Chartplotter. Just remember to connect all the NEMA - lines to ground. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.