lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve

I am considering purchase of new lines for a 1979 oday 25. lines to hoist main, jib main sheets jib sheets, etc.. can someone advise: what type rope is of high quality and lenghths for each? I do not own the boat, but wish to make this purchase as a gift to the owner. Any info on where to find a new or almost new set of sails would be appreciated. thanks, steve

D

Don Evans

New Ropes

New running rigging? Wow what a nice friend you are. In your neck of the woods, there is no shortage of Rope manufacturers. New England Ropes, comes to mind. On the 25 , for main and genoa, I use 5/16" polyester braid, like a Sta-Set type. This is very strong and low stretch. For sheets, I prefer a size larger, like 3/8", and a softer to the hands brand of polyester braid. As far as lengths, this will depend on whether the halyards run to the cockpit or are controlled from the mast. If they go to the cockpit, buy a coil of 75'. If they end at the mast, subtract 10'. This will be a bit longer than necessary, but let the owner cut to the final length.For sheets, jibs should be about 40', and mainsheet, long enough to let the boom out full. So if it is a 3:1 purchase, try about 30'. Hope this helps. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.