Line diameter

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is not about the line you have on the boat, It is about the size of your sheaves on the mast to handle the line. You could choose 3/8's only to find that the sheave is looking for 5/16's. You will complain about friction and line chafing.

Check the sheave and you do not need to worry what the previous owner selected on the boat.

If a task is good to do it is best to do it correctly.

May 19, 2024
Catalina 30 MKII Chicago
It is not about the line you have on the boat, It is about the size of your sheaves on the mast to handle the line. You could choose 3/8's only to find that the sheave is looking for 5/16's. You will complain about friction and line chafing.

Check the sheave and you do not need to worry what the previous owner selected on the boat.

If a task is good to do it is best to do it correctly.
Sometimes the answer is just right there. I dont know how this didnt occur to me. Thanks for the great tip.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On my 93 MkII 3/8" fits just fine. I wouldn't go thicker for the reasons John mentions and the additional weight and costs. I'm currently using 5/16" for the main halyard. It doesn't tail off the cabin top ST Winch very well. I'll be switching back to 3/8" in the near future.

May 19, 2024
Catalina 30 MKII Chicago
Looks like it is 1/2 sheave. Does 3/8 make the most sense here then?

tape.jpg

Also, the pictured line below is the topping lift. Does it look really oversized or is it just me?
2024-07-05_16-15-49_766.jpg

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Looks like it is 1/2 sheave. Does 3/8 make the most sense here then?

Also, the pictured line below is the topping lift. Does it look really oversized or is it just me?
Over time, the line ages and softens and can appear larger than the same size new line. Some lines seem more susceptible to this swelling, but the main reason is most sailors just leave them uncovered out in the elements their entire life.... which can be 20 or 30 years for the lazy owner. A 1/2 inch line of a 30 footer is unnecessary. If you want stronger line, don't get larger, get higher quality. working load, stretch and breaking strength are rope attributes that will be listed on the spool on which the line is stored. It is available in ANY marine catalogue that sells rope. If 3/8" is comfortable in your hand, works well on your winches and runs smoothly through your rig's blocks.... then match the line quality up to the preferred load. Use general rigging guides, or even the boat manufacturers ratings get this info. You'll often see this data in the owner's manual...but most rigging sites or chandlery's will have basic guides that consider a boat's size, weight and sail size to suggest line dimenstions.

This stuff is important for you to get familiar with if you plan to enjoy your sailboat more than just harbor cruising with sundowners. So start reading up on cordage... types, quality, purpose, etc. That info is all out there on the internet, go to sailmaker websites first, since they often have linked artlcles on these subjects. Another great source is the WEST MARINE advisor... check it out. Articles on everything imaginable.. No excuses now my friend. Good luck.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Does 3/8 make the most sense here then?
Yes
While the current line might “just fit” it is too big for the exit block. Line fits to high on the sheave. It will scrape in the mast opening. Cause friction and make it difficult to work the line

@Joe gave you a great write up about lines. :plus: On what he said.

I would pull that line and use it as a messenger to pull a smaller line through to replace it. I would then repurpose the line (if it still looks serviceable) for other jobs on my boat.